Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Head Unit w/ 4 ohm spkrs - Amp vs no amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default HK Head Unit w/ 4 ohm spkrs - Amp vs no amp?

Audio pro's:
having installed Hawg Wired 4 ohm speakers w crossover's and the RF pbr300x2 amp, I'm finding the music (on a burned CD) sometimes cutting out and was told it was due to a safety feature in the speakers in that they recognize too much power being distributed and they cut themselves out. True?
I've played with the gains and frequencies on the amp, and will probably do so a little bit more but had a question: can I bypass/remove the amp and just use the 4 ohm speakers to the HK stock head unit on my 2013 SG, or is that not compatible (given that the stock speakers were only 2 ohm)? The speakers look pretty beefy enough to be an upgrade by themselves.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Audio pro's:
having installed Hawg Wired 4 ohm speakers w crossover's and the RF pbr300x2 amp, I'm finding the music (on a burned CD) sometimes cutting out and was told it was due to a safety feature in the speakers in that they recognize too much power being distributed and they cut themselves out. True?
never in all my years have I heard that one.
if you're overdriving speakers to the point of the amp clipping then the wiring and setup needs to be looked at a little further.

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
I've played with the gains and frequencies on the amp, and will probably do so a little bit more but had a question: can I bypass/remove the amp and just use the 4 ohm speakers to the HK stock head unit on my 2013 SG, or is that not compatible (given that the stock speakers were only 2 ohm)? The speakers look pretty beefy enough to be an upgrade by themselves.
sure you can remove the amp however with adding 4 ohm speakers to a head unit that is setup to facilitate a 2 ohm load, you'll effectively cut your volume by 1/3 to 1/2. Meaning if you had the volume at 10 with stock 2 ohms speakers, you will likely have to raise that volume to 13 or so to achieve the same level of sound. Higher that volume control goes, the more distortion gets pumped into the system Distortion kills speakers, not power.