Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Super E PITA

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts
Default Super E PITA

I've been having trouble with gas droplets coming out of the overflow tube on my especially when the bike sits in the sun. Here's what I've done so far to correct it.

Replaced needle & seat.
Polished enrichner face and seat.
Adjusted the float height to about 1/4"loses with the float a bit lower in the bowl.
New gas caps and the right one is venting.
Tried two different petcocks.
Still traces of gas in the tube.

The other day I rode the bike to work and ran the bowl dry. At the end of the day the vent tube was damp with gas and there was a small spot on the pavement directly under the tube indicating that some spilling had occured. I tried starting the bike to confirm that there was still no gas in the bowl and there wasn't. How could gas be coming out of the overflow tube if there was no gas in the bowl???

Bowl gasket is flat but I will install a new one anyway today.

Last edited by Hey Man; 04-07-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I have had something similar happen when the accelerator pump was gummed up. Had to clean it and put in a new float seat and float valve.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:14 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I had a similar situation several years ago with my 2001 dyna superglide. There was a vent tube up by the gas cap that had plugged up somehow. Blew it out with compressed air and that solved the problem. From what you say it sounds like your problem is similar with the heat from sitting in the sun expanding the gas causing leakage. You say your gas cap is vented? On my Dyna that fooled me because it was a one way vent. It could suck air into the tank, but I guess there was a check valve in the cap because it would not allow pressure back out.

Just my experience. You might check it and see.

Post edit, when you unscrew your gas cap, look for a small 1/4 inch steel tube up top of the tank, you should be able to see it easily. That is your vent tube for releasing pressure.

Last edited by 01dyna; 04-07-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 01dyna
I had a similar situation several years ago with my 2001 dyna superglide. There was a vent tube up by the gas cap that had plugged up somehow.

Yup, I had that. The seat was pinching the vent line so I moved it and it vents but carb overflow is still damp with gas.

Also as misfitJason mentioned, the pump diaphragm was shot not to mention that the parts were assembled wrong. Still no change.

Will probably pull the carb and rebuild it. Most likely it's been on the bike over 20 years.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 PM
t100rc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get stuck ... Call S&S ... In my experience, they're really good to deal with and really know their ****.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by t100rc
If you get stuck ... Call S&S ... In my experience, they're really good to deal with and really know their ****.
Actually I did call S&S. The "tech" told me not to worry about it, that it was normal for the Super E to leak some gas from the overflow tube. WTF????

Anyway, I did a little outside the box thinking. The overflow hose was routed forward of the motor and down with the open end tilted slightly forward. So I start to imagine air shooting up that tube causing all kinds of turbulance inside the bowl wreaking havoc with the float and splashing gas around causing some to drip down when the bike is at rest. So I routed the tube to the rear and down. Since then I have not had any gas drips on the floor and the constant gas smell in the garage is gone. Weird, huh?

Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Well, I'm glad you're no longer having issues.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:03 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Actually I did call S&S. The "tech" told me not to worry about it, that it was normal for the Super E to leak some gas from the overflow tube. WTF????

Anyway, I did a little outside the box thinking. The overflow hose was routed forward of the motor and down with the open end tilted slightly forward. So I start to imagine air shooting up that tube causing all kinds of turbulance inside the bowl wreaking havoc with the float and splashing gas around causing some to drip down when the bike is at rest. So I routed the tube to the rear and down. Since then I have not had any gas drips on the floor and the constant gas smell in the garage is gone. Weird, huh?
I actually just read thru the installation instructions this morning for the Super E carb. It specifically says to run that vent hose towards the rear of the motor and then down. Now we know why.