Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Backfire from carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM
ckary
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Backfire from carb

94 Road King, rode it around for an hour or so. Upon shutting the motor down, heard a loud explosion/backfire from the carb. Filled up the tank with gas, (5 minutes?) and started her back up - only to hear what sounds like an air leak thru the carb area - that giant sucking sound! I could keep it running by staying on the throttle, but limped it back home, and now I need to fix it - maybe a blown o-ring? gasket behind the carb - I hope that's all it is!! Any advice from the experts here? Thanks

Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

I'd say the carb needs to be rebuilt and cleaned well. Also, while it's off the bike, depending on if you know if they are the originals or not, remove the intake manifold and put new gaskets/seals in that too - numbers 11 and 5 respectively here. It's really a relatively easy job *except* that you *must* get a set of SAE allen wrenches that have the *short* arm or you'll play hell getting the manifold off. Just do a search for 'Bondhus Stubby Balldriver with GorillaGrip Hex' (w/out the quotes) and you'll find them all over the place.

Last edited by tar_snake; 04-02-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:52 AM
ckary
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I knew I came to the right place - thanks for the links and the info.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
I'd say the carb needs to be rebuilt and cleaned well. Also, while it's off the bike, depending on if you know if they are the originals or not, remove the intake manifold and put new gaskets/seals in that too - numbers 11 and 5 respectively here. It's really a relatively easy job *except* that you *must* get a set of SAE allen wrenches that have the *short* arm or you'll play hell getting the manifold off. Just do a search for 'Bondhus Stubby Balldriver with GorillaGrip Hex' (w/out the quotes) and you'll find them all over the place.
go to Home Depot and get a set of 3/8 drive long ball end Allen wrenches and a set of regular L Allen wrenches...cut off the short end of the L on the 1/4 inch Allen wrench with a hack saw or cut-off tool to get it short enough to get into the left side fasteners. $25 should do it easily...

When reinstalling the manifold to the heads, do not tighten the bolts. Put them on finger tight and then put on the carb and bracket and backing plate. Tighten them all down together a little at a time. Finally, tighten and torque the manifold fasteners last. This technique will help insure that the manifold is aligned and centered and minimizes the possibility of leaks.

This has always worked for me, fuel injected and normally aspirated.