Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

03 FXDL Always too rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM
worstdayever
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 FXDL Always too rich

Replaced my carburetor with another of the same kind and swapped over the needle and jets. Of course its running like total **** until it warms up. When I first got it, I could pull out the choke, start it up, and take off. Bike ran like a dream. Now, I pull the choke, it barely idles. It pops, sputters, and backfires just off idle while riding. Plugs are always black and sooty. I have to rev the **** out of it and just go wide open throttle and it'll idle better and better, right around 900rpm when it warms up. I adjusted the float level(it was way off), new plugs/wires/coil, fresh gas. The mixture screw is only 1 turn out from seated. 48slow/190main(no shims). Im thinking a 45 slow might fix the idle/low speed. Maybe?

Any ideas?

Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by worstdayever
Replaced my carburetor with another of the same kind and swapped over the needle and jets. Of course its running like total **** until it warms up. When I first got it, I could pull out the choke, start it up, and take off. Bike ran like a dream. Now, I pull the choke, it barely idles. It pops, sputters, and backfires just off idle while riding. Plugs are always black and sooty. I have to rev the **** out of it and just go wide open throttle and it'll idle better and better, right around 900rpm when it warms up. I adjusted the float level(it was way off), new plugs/wires/coil, fresh gas. The mixture screw is only 1 turn out from seated. 48slow/190main(no shims). Im thinking a 45 slow might fix the idle/low speed. Maybe?

Any ideas?
So after you installed a new(used) carb, it ran fine for a while then slowly got worse?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 PM
worstdayever
6th Gear

I originally got a replacement carb because the 1st one just started dumping fuel through the air cleaner over and over again. I got the new(used) one and it did the same thing. Eventually figured out that it was the float so i adjusted it. Hasnt done it since. BUT, i have yet to get it tuned correctly. Even following the guides, i cant get it to run like it first did. I pull the choke, start it up and it wont idle past 1000. It keeps wanting to stall, and when i give it a little gas just creeping through my parking lot it bucks and pops through the exhaust. Only way i can get it going is to rev the **** out of it and rip down the road. Once its warmed up it idles great at 900 rpm. I think its a 48slow/190main in it right now, but thats what was always in it. Im at a complete loss.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Have you done a compression check on the motor?

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 PM
worstdayever
6th Gear

I havent. The bike had been running great up until the carburetor swap. Almost like all the sudden the slow jet is too big.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:24 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Have you checked it for intake leaks?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Well put the origin carb back on. As stated, check for intake leaks. Make sure the enrichner / cable is not hung up. Maybe you set the float level incorrectly or the carb needs a rebuild..

Old 09-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Also if you are using the stock petcock, make sure it is working correctly.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Check your needle jet it can be installed upside down and is easy to install incorrectly, also check the black rubber diaphragm for holes by holding it up to light. YD

Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 AM
worstdayever
6th Gear

Original carb is long gone. Checked the needle jet and its installed correctly. No tears in the rubber diaphragm. Going to check float level again.

Quick Reply: 03 FXDL Always too rich