Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Fuel tank gunk/inline fuel filter woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 AM
kennylxix
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel tank gunk/inline fuel filter woes

After cleaning the majority of the liner and rust out of the tank on my 97 883 I'm finding that there is some bits of "stuff" making it past the in tank screen (screen is new). This is occasionally sticking my float needle open which ain't great.

I tried adding a standard plastic automotive inline fuel filter but as anicipated the gravity feed from the tank lacks the pressure to get through the filter with sufficient volume and the bike ran like crap.

Anyone else have success with a different inline filter? I'd like to avoid the screen type since anything making to to the filter already ninjaed past one of those

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Rt13MFer
Road Warrior
Received 1,608 Likes on 647 Posts

I use a Russell fuel filter (JP Cycles # 720-624) with an easily replaced sintered brass filter element. Never had a problem with fuel flow other than when initially installed you might have to tap or shake the filter around to dislodge the air buble inside it.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,748 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Rt13MFer
I use a Russell fuel filter (JP Cycles # 720-624) with an easily replaced sintered brass filter element. Never had a problem with fuel flow other than when initially installed you might have to tap or shake the filter around to dislodge the air buble inside it.
I am using the same filter (knock off filter with the russell bronze element) for the same reason (liner peeling away) and like you I removed and cleaned what I could as best as I could. I have only 400 miles since installing but all seems OK so far. I think it might be the rust that is causing your issue. My tank did not have the rust issue.

Take a look at the gunk in the carb. If it is gray in color it is the liner, if it is a rust or dirt color then maybe a more rust oriented clean up like using Ospho, Evapo rust, Metal rescue, etc. or even a MILD phosphoric acid.

Do your homework on how to clean up a motorcycle tank that has rust in it. It will increase your success. There is no reason you can't get the inside of your tank clean and free of rust.You would have to rinse out all the gas, use some soap and water (dawn dish soap), slosh it around, drain, rinse a few times, bottle brushes, etc. then when you think it's clean, try to dry the tank 100% using compressed air, hair dryer, etc. Get it as dry as possible before using the etching/rust removing chemical. Then just continue with following the instructions on whatever product your using. Just make sure whatever you use is designed for tanks. You don't want some generic acid eating up the metal in your tank. Follow the rinsing and neutralizing instructions also.

Good luck with the problem/project. YD

Old 10-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Apple Cider Vinegar. . . This works well for rust and safe for paints.