Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boy did I mess up today

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Boy did I mess up today

Installed my cams. Everything went flawlessly UNTIL I tightened my tappet covers. The ball end of my hex( Ecklind brand us made btw)broke off on the inner front tappet cover. Didn't even tighten too hard as I had cut it off and put in a 3/16 socket so I could tq to 100 in lbs.I should have let it be but oh no not me. I think I better fix it now or next time I am screwed. I try to no avail to get the bolt to turn back out. No go. Only alternative is chisel head off and pull rest out with vise grips. Chiseled it off and no damage to anything but it broke deep enough that I couldn't get it out. Now I only have 3 with a prayer that rtv will help seal that corner. Also hope no shavings got anywhere in my desperate attempt at removal. I covered with rags, shop vac,and blew all out I could. Will finish tomorrow and change oil immediately after I get it warmed up. Hopefully it will not leak and I can figure out a solution some day or If I big bore will get it fixed then. Moral is sometimes your own perfection can cause you nothing but grief and struggle.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shitty to hear bro..that *"snap"* is some of our worst nightmares

Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ecklind Allen's haven't let me down yet. I keep a set T handles in my tool bag for every day use(not ball end though). I only use ball end keys after it's broken loose(if possible), and only to seat the bolt. I have other tools for breaking them free, or applying torque. When you do break a ball off, a good magnet, and sometimes a jewelers screwdriver or a pick, will go a long way to preventing damaging the bolt. I've learned that the hard way.

It sucks, but it happens.

Chase

Old 09-19-2014, 08:56 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Shouldn't have used a ball end IMO.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 735 Likes on 505 Posts

That so blows Man, sad to hear indeed!

Could have been worse. You could have went for a swim on a vacation in some exotic 3rd world river and picked up some ******** eating bacteria with no cure!

Could have been worse.

Well, now, hoping none of your shavings got in there like you said, you have something to fix. Don't let it get you down, it's only castles burning...

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

I think it will be fine. If not I have a winter project. There is no other way to torque those inner bolts than a ball hex. I torque nazied myself. If it stays sealed up I will likely leave it till it does leak or if I ever go for more cubes I'll retap it. Think I'll spring for a set of sk ball hex sockets for next time.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

You really don't need a torque wrench on there and I can't work out why you stuffed the bolt when it was the tool that broke and those bolts are all hex heads with an allen key in the centre...am I missing something here because I don't get what happened.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:43 PM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

push rods not all the way down?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear but you have reminded me that I too have probably been abusing my ball ends. They are so easy you just start using them for everything and forget to change out.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i use craftman ball ends all the time, no reason to be jaded by this exp. Just have to ensure you are using a quality tool. I have had them snap off in the past as well on really small allens, used a magnet and it removed the ball section 1-2-3

Quick Reply: Boy did I mess up today