Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolting on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 AM
Lentini93
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bolting on exhaust

Parts guy at my dealer today said I could just slap on a pair of basssni pipes I was looking at, without needing to do a tuner, air cleaner, and a map. Sound legit?
2011 fxdb.

Thanks...

Old 09-25-2014, 05:43 AM
sgc10
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine. Any more and you should have a tune. Do it and see how you like it. It won't hurt anything.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He is right, but if you add a a/c then you would really need to get a tuner.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Lentini93
Parts guy at my dealer today said I could just slap on a pair of basssni pipes I was looking at, without needing to do a tuner, air cleaner, and a map. Sound legit?
2011 fxdb.

Thanks...
Depends on what you mean by "legit".

Can you put on freer flowing mufflers and not do a tune? Sure!

Will your engine run leaner and hotter than it did stock? Yes.

Will you damage your engine? Probably not.

Will you get louder, and be able to feel some increase in power? Yes.

Will you get all the torque and horsepower increase that you just paid for? No.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Lentini93
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Depends on what you mean by "legit".

Can you put on freer flowing mufflers and not do a tune? Sure!

Will your engine run leaner and hotter than it did stock? Yes.

Will you damage your engine? Probably not.

Will you get louder, and be able to feel some increase in power? Yes.

Will you get all the torque and horsepower increase that you just paid for? No.
Thanks everyone. I'm not mechanically inclined, and I've heard that just slapping some pipes on will damage my top end. Just wanted to make sure I had multiple opinions so I don't screw up a month old bike. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Glad to help.

If all you do is mufflers, and you ride the bike reasonably gently, without hammering it every time you go out, it's highly unlikely you would damage anything. You just won't get the performance gains without the tune that you would get with the tune.

Now, if you did both mufflers and air cleaner, and you ride the bike hard, then there is a pretty high risk that you'd get enough heat to damage something, probably a piston.

My personal opinion is if you're going to spend the money on parts intended to improve performance, then why not tune the bike to take advantage of the potential?

Here's a thought: My bike is, mechanically, bone stock. I spent the money for a race tuner and had it tuned. All I was interested in was making the bike run as well as the engineers knew it could run, without the EPA strangling it. I wanted it to run a little cooler, run a little richer, and I'd be happy.

Between 1,500-3,000 rpm I got dyno measured 4-5 ft-lb of torque, and 2 hp. The difference in pull off the line is dramatic. Bone stock, with a tune.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

just pipes your fine don't even worry.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Lentini93
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Glad to help.

If all you do is mufflers, and you ride the bike reasonably gently, without hammering it every time you go out, it's highly unlikely you would damage anything. You just won't get the performance gains without the tune that you would get with the tune.

Now, if you did both mufflers and air cleaner, and you ride the bike hard, then there is a pretty high risk that you'd get enough heat to damage something, probably a piston.

My personal opinion is if you're going to spend the money on parts intended to improve performance, then why not tune the bike to take advantage of the potential?

Here's a thought: My bike is, mechanically, bone stock. I spent the money for a race tuner and had it tuned. All I was interested in was making the bike run as well as the engineers knew it could run, without the EPA strangling it. I wanted it to run a little cooler, run a little richer, and I'd be happy.

Between 1,500-3,000 rpm I got dyno measured 4-5 ft-lb of torque, and 2 hp. The difference in pull off the line is dramatic. Bone stock, with a tune.

I get that much, it's just a matter of coming up with two grand, versus buying stuff part by part and then having it tuned. If rather do a couple 500 purchases then one big 2000, you know? I have a hard time saving up that much cash. Lol.