Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about '06 Super Glide (buying decision)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
brock29609
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about '06 Super Glide (buying decision)

Found an out-of-town '06 Super Glide (12K miles) that's accessorized just like I like'em. Need to decide if it's worth traveling to get it. What can you tell me about these?

Is this a good year for the model? Any common failures during this year? What do I need to know about these?

All comments appreciated. Thanks!

I'm looking for a comfortable cruiser with decent cornering ability, suspension... for cruising through the twisties without dragging metal everywhere.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:39 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as you realize you need to weld stator bolts and inner primary baering change your good , you can fix both problem in just few hours

Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Ironhead.Chris
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay away from an 06.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's setup the way you like it and the price is reasonable go for it. I wouldn't get hung up over year of production. I would think a reasonable price for bike as described would be between $8,000-11,000.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, there are a million of "this is what I did" responses on these boards, so here is mine: just bought an 07 FXD with 3500 miles, just the way I wanted, shortshots, fuelpack, apes, forward controlls, sundowner and touring saddles, some other cosmetic stuff, extra parts, some new, for $6,500.

I did not want to deal with the 06 issues, so 07 was as old as I was willing to go. Love the bike!

Now is a great time to buy.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 PM
crash_override65
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2006 FXDWGI owner here. The 06's definitely have their problems. The IPB and stator issues are pretty well known. Inquire to the seller about any works being done on the primary. If the full monty fix has already been done and he has a work order to prove it, I say pull the trigger. If not, buyer beware.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 652 Posts

I lve my 06. I have had the dreaded inner primary bearing issue and stator issue but other than that it is my favorite harley I have ever owned. The 88 ci motor doesn't have the heat issues that the 96's do and it revs up a little faster. Plus it has all of the motor and tranny improvements. I think it has a better gear ratio for final drive as well

Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM
brock29609
6th Gear

I've spend the last 24 hours researching the issue, and I still can't figure out the latest news on the situation. Harley still replaces the IPBs for free every 15K miles? Is there a perm fix? Here's the bike I'm looking at. I'm not a loud pipes and forward controls kinda guy, so it's set up well for me. Most of the add-ons here are things I'd pay out-of-pocket for anyway, and it has no undesirable upgrades (to me) like loud pipes & such. All I'd do to it is maybe a solo seat w/ solo luggage rack, and ride it.

Last edited by brock29609; 10-09-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

does HD still warranty the IPB issue with these 2006 models?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 PM
mallder
Intermediate

I have a 2006 Dyna and love it.

The 2006 dynas were the first to get the 6 speed gear box which created some changes in the primary drive system that have turned out to be weaknesses. The 2007 Dynas dont have the same issues. These issues are well known and easy to fix.

Issue #1. the alternator rotor was bolted to the spring cup of the compensator. unfortunatly the bolts holding these two items together tend to loosen and then back out. If they back out they will destroy the stator which kills your electrical system. There are two fixes for this issue. The first fix is to simply weld the bolts to the rotor so they cant back out. The second fix is to replace the rotor and stator with the 2007 units. (the 2007 units had the rotor welded to the spring cup but this will also require a 2007 stator since 2007 stators and 2006 stators are not interchangable).

issue #2 is the inner primary bearing. The inner primary bearing is a roller bearing installed in the inner half of the primary case on the transmission output shaft. This bearing carries the drive load of the transmission as it applies to the primary case. In the 2006 design the relationship between the primary case and the transmission was controlled by the bolts that secure the primary to the engine and transmission. The torque loads on the primary chain where such that it was possible to create some displacement between the the gear box case and the primary case. This displacement would greatly increase the loads on the inner primary bearing causing it to fail. The fix for this issue was a modification to the transmission case and inner primary case that allowed for the installation of 2 dowel pins. These dowel pins eliminated any relative movement between the primary and trany which kept the bearing from being overloaded. For those of us with the original cases (me) the best fix is the baker bearing. The Baker bearing is a heavy duty bearing that is capable of handeling higher loads without failure.

A third potential issue is the primary chain tensioner. (this problem is not unique to just the 2006 model year). The automatic chain tensioner in the primary drive has a reputation of overtightening the chain. If this is true, the extra tension would contribute to the early failure of the inner primary bearing (see above). Many people have replaced thier tensioners with an aftermarket design from Hayden or Baker. ( I have used both).

So there you have it... Rotor bolts ( fixed with a welder). Inner primary bearing, (fixed with a bearing change) and maybe an auto tensioner problem, (fixed with a different tensioner). All of these items can be addressed in an afternoon for 400 dollars.

Quick Reply: Tell me about '06 Super Glide (buying decision)