Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 03:23 AM
DynaZA
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I said I'd post pics of my rear fender fix on the Wide Glide, well here it is. It comes with a story LOL

Got the fender back from my friendly panel shop after they closed the hole where the tail light used to go. I specifically asked them to not paint, because I enjoy playing around with things like that. I also mentioned previously that I'm not good at any of these things I'm attempting, but the enjoyment and relaxation makes up for it for me.

Got the fender back on Friday 7 Oct, started with primer and flattening the primer. Got it nice and flat and no low spots. Very happy at this stage with the progress. Needed to finish ASAP because I take my boy to school on the bike and school started again the coming Tuesday.

Fender Primed and sanded, ready for paint.

Next morning I started prepping for paint and this is where the real fun started. Somehow I got the paint mix ratios completely wrong and ended up with too much hardener, this combined with our heatwave caused the paint to splatter out. Not being a real spray painter and having limited experience troubleshooting I decided I will carry on and see what it looks like when fully covered by a few coats of paint. Well it just kept on coming out all splattery and I took that chance and hoped it would look ok. Time wasn't on my side, so it was an easier decision.

It looks a little bit like rubberizing of linex paint. It hardened and has a tough finish. At first I thought I had to change it ASAP and would do it the first opportunity I got, but seeing the reaction from people and giving it time, I've started to like it. It's also weird in that it looks like it doesn't show dirt like the smooth black. I will give it some more time and see if I want to keep it and try do the other fender like that too.

Here is the fender fitted with the integrated turn signals/ tail light. I like the neater look of the lights and side mounted license plate.

Before

After

Then the weekend after that I did the 32000km service (PART1) wwhich included the engine oil and filter, transmission oil and new HD std grips. Will take the bike in to a shop to have the primary done and also have the bike checked to see if all is well and to do the rest of the items on the service schedule. Also still need to fit the rear brake light switch I also bought.

And then after the oils were changed, I had to take the bike to go make sure it likes the attention it got. Wonderful Sunday ride to a Hartbeespoort dam that's about 50km away. The wife and I really enjoy this bike, we've been riding together for about 25 years and both enjoy the relaxed riding on the Wide Glide.

I've probably said it here before, but I will say it again. As a first time Harley owner I really like that one will probably never be done with modifying and changing things on this bike. The possibilities are endless and my mind never stops thinking about ways to make this bike the way I would like it, but even that changes often.

PS I've heard the engine ping a few times and wonder if the fuel station didn't give me crappy fuel. This I think is now after two tanks using 95 octane. I'll keep an ear open and maybe add some octane booster I have in the garage. Do you include fuel system cleaner or injector cleaners to your tanks now and then? I do it in my SUV and pickup and was happy with the results, so was wondering if any of you add it to your tanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by DynaZA:
Czracer (10-25-2022), Garage Queen Rescue (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:51 AM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 275 Likes on 140 Posts

Threw on some more Willie G bling bling, this time a set of mirrors, waiting for another decent day to try them out , the orginal tear drops didn't work very well for me .

The following users liked this post:
Garage Queen Rescue (10-27-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:59 AM
Czracer
Tourer
Received 275 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaZA
I said I'd post pics of my rear fender fix on the Wide Glide, well here it is. It comes with a story LOL

Got the fender back from my friendly panel shop after they closed the hole where the tail light used to go. I specifically asked them to not paint, because I enjoy playing around with things like that. I also mentioned previously that I'm not good at any of these things I'm attempting, but the enjoyment and relaxation makes up for it for me.

Got the fender back on Friday 7 Oct, started with primer and flattening the primer. Got it nice and flat and no low spots. Very happy at this stage with the progress. Needed to finish ASAP because I take my boy to school on the bike and school started again the coming Tuesday.

Fender Primed and sanded, ready for paint.

Next morning I started prepping for paint and this is where the real fun started. Somehow I got the paint mix ratios completely wrong and ended up with too much hardener, this combined with our heatwave caused the paint to splatter out. Not being a real spray painter and having limited experience troubleshooting I decided I will carry on and see what it looks like when fully covered by a few coats of paint. Well it just kept on coming out all splattery and I took that chance and hoped it would look ok. Time wasn't on my side, so it was an easier decision.

It looks a little bit like rubberizing of linex paint. It hardened and has a tough finish. At first I thought I had to change it ASAP and would do it the first opportunity I got, but seeing the reaction from people and giving it time, I've started to like it. It's also weird in that it looks like it doesn't show dirt like the smooth black. I will give it some more time and see if I want to keep it and try do the other fender like that too.

Here is the fender fitted with the integrated turn signals/ tail light. I like the neater look of the lights and side mounted license plate.

Before

After

Then the weekend after that I did the 32000km service (PART1) wwhich included the engine oil and filter, transmission oil and new HD std grips. Will take the bike in to a shop to have the primary done and also have the bike checked to see if all is well and to do the rest of the items on the service schedule. Also still need to fit the rear brake light switch I also bought.

And then after the oils were changed, I had to take the bike to go make sure it likes the attention it got. Wonderful Sunday ride to a Hartbeespoort dam that's about 50km away. The wife and I really enjoy this bike, we've been riding together for about 25 years and both enjoy the relaxed riding on the Wide Glide.

I've probably said it here before, but I will say it again. As a first time Harley owner I really like that one will probably never be done with modifying and changing things on this bike. The possibilities are endless and my mind never stops thinking about ways to make this bike the way I would like it, but even that changes often.

PS I've heard the engine ping a few times and wonder if the fuel station didn't give me crappy fuel. This I think is now after two tanks using 95 octane. I'll keep an ear open and maybe add some octane booster I have in the garage. Do you include fuel system cleaner or injector cleaners to your tanks now and then? I do it in my SUV and pickup and was happy with the results, so was wondering if any of you add it to your tanks.
I like the look on the fender, my Fat Bob was has the matte finish on it and I love it . I am pretty much in the same boat as you, first time Harley owner and have been changing things a little at a time on my ride . Hope for many more kms to you and yours . Oh I also run fuel treatment in my bike quite often and it seems to help , mainly since fuel around here can be spotty since we have ethanol mixed fuel here , so I run a stabil type product to keep everything on the up and up .

Old 10-26-2022, 09:45 AM
FX WideGlide
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Looks good!

Many years ago I was in a motorcycle club back in Chicago. One of the members had a hopped-up Harley 45". His friend worked in a typewriter factory and he was able to take his gas tanks and the bobbed rear fender into their paint shop for a finish job. He had it done in green wrinkle finish just like a typewriter. It really looked nice and didn't cost him anytthing. Wish I had a picture to shpw you all.

The following users liked this post:
2500hdon37s (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:24 AM
DynaZA
Novice

Originally Posted by Czracer
Hope for many more kms to you and yours .
Oh I also run fuel treatment in my bike quite often and it seems to help , mainly since fuel around here can be spotty since we have ethanol mixed fuel here , so I run a stabil type product to keep everything on the up and up .
Czracer thanks and may you also have many many happy miles on your bike.

I will put some fuel system cleaner in soon, thanks.

BTW I like the Fat Bob, before I got my first HD I always thought that's the one I'd buy if I had the choice. Nice bike

Old 10-27-2022, 12:31 AM
DynaZA
Novice

Originally Posted by DynaZA
Trying out Bel Ray Gearsaver 80W in transmission with great expectations lol.
Just a quick update - After putting on probably 800 km or so since the oil change in the transmission, it feels like it's doing the job well. Without knowing when last the trans oil was changed it would probably be hard to pin point the exact reason my gear changes are a bit better and also finding neutral is also a bit easier. So far I'm happy with the change to Bel Ray Gearsaver 80W

Last edited by DynaZA; 10-27-2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:20 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 401 Likes on 153 Posts

Kinda for my Dyna? With my heads at Hillside Cycle for a month or so, I have not had much to do on the bike. I bought this trailer from a friend to haul my bike among other things and it needed a little Resteration on the outside to say the least. I have worked several evenings on it and the trailer is looking good. I am down to the final buff and wax when I have time this week. I will have the gravel Guard and fenders powder coated again and paint the little moulding. I have a few before and after picks.

The following 3 users liked this post by NEWROADSTER:
Garage Queen Rescue (11-03-2022), snake_eyes (11-02-2022), Uncle 'B' (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 11:02 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

Man that Looks good , I even like the wheels

Old 11-02-2022, 11:05 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 872 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWROADSTER
Kinda for my Dyna? With my heads at Hillside Cycle for a month or so, I have not had much to do on the bike. I bought this trailer from a friend to haul my bike among other things and it needed a little Resteration on the outside to say the least. I have worked several evenings on it and the trailer is looking good. I am down to the final buff and wax when I have time this week. I will have the gravel Guard and fenders powder coated again and paint the little moulding. I have a few before and after picks.
Although it's not Dyna related I have to admit you did a good job on the waxing and buffing!

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 11-02-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:53 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 401 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks guys, I bought this trailer new 10 years ago. I always kept it inside so it was immaculate. I sold it to a buddy and he left it outside for 5 years. To get it back on its feet I installed new tires, lights, bearings, and jack. The list keeps going but I like nice stuff. I would have just bought a new one but you can't get one like this anymore. This trailer is on torsion axles and sits very low to the ground. This allows low bikes to drive in with no problems. It was built 6" extra tall so I can walk in it without hitting my head and it still fits in my garage if needed.
I tried 5 or 6 different compounds and polishes before I finally came up with the correct combination. Aluminum trailers don't buff like cars because the aluminum gets hot to quick and burns the compound into the color. If you ever want to polish one, hit me up and I will give you a list of the correct stuff.
On a bright note, Scott called from hillside yesterday and said everything was ready. He was waiting on my heads to get out of powder coat and he could ship all my parts. I am ready to get back to working on my Bike!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?