Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,608 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Originally Posted by wide.glider
Anyone here ride a Wide Glide with apes?

Thinking of upgrading from the standard bars to some mini apes though wondering how the handling will differ?

Have the hang of the handling with the standard bars after a few months in the saddle and really like the look of apes on the chopper style.

Any suggestions to height vs handling and how it changes cornering from standard bars?
the only thing holding me back from ape hangers is the fact that I have the sensation of my hands not getting normal blood flow.....a tingling if you will after a few hours riding.....pretty sure that feeling would come around quicker with hangers..

Old 09-27-2021, 02:01 PM
1Dyna03
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wide.glider
Anyone here ride a Wide Glide with apes?

Thinking of upgrading from the standard bars to some mini apes though wondering how the handling will differ?

Have the hang of the handling with the standard bars after a few months in the saddle and really like the look of apes on the chopper style.

Any suggestions to height vs handling and how it changes cornering from standard bars?
I have had buckhorn and drag bars and mini apes and 16inch apes and others I will forget, but my 12inch KST Z-apes are my most comfortable ever. Very different than a lower stock bar. IMO best to go to a dealer that can set you in riding position, and let you feel many different sizes.. I heard it said, that if you close your eyes and reach forward to grab bars, youll find your natural position.. You have to search for your best fit.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:21 PM
wide.glider
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket23
the only thing holding me back from ape hangers is the fact that I have the sensation of my hands not getting normal blood flow.....a tingling if you will after a few hours riding.....pretty sure that feeling would come around quicker with hangers..
Thanks @rocket23

Have heard that about ape hangers... Hands not getting normal blood flow.

If I do go for apes it'll be about as high as the bars on your Switchback. Don't think higher than that.

Still have the factory drag-style bars on my FXDWG. Am quite tall (6'4") and think I could get away with some mini apes without having to reach up above heart level.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:25 PM
wide.glider
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Dyna03
I have had buckhorn and drag bars and mini apes and 16inch apes and others I will forget, but my 12inch KST Z-apes are my most comfortable ever. Very different than a lower stock bar. IMO best to go to a dealer that can set you in riding position, and let you feel many different sizes.. I heard it said, that if you close your eyes and reach forward to grab bars, youll find your natural position.. You have to search for your best fit.

Thanks @1Dyna03

Guess the best is to try them out for yourself and see how they feel.

My Dyna is due for a service in the new couple of weeks so thinking of trying out something with apes at the dealership while it's in.

Was curious about the difference it make with handling on a Wide Glide as I've read a lot and experienced how hard it can be in tight corners and wondering if apes make much of a difference to cornering.

Edit: Am quite tall at 6'4" so naturally reach higher than my current bars (eyes closed)

Old 09-27-2021, 03:11 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Stock on my 2013 street bob are 10" mini's.. I turned them into Buckhorns and must say they are very comfortable. Didn't have to change cables, wiring or brake lines either.. Handles awesome..

The following users liked this post:
brownie4412 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:41 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Stock on my 2013 street bob are 10" mini's.. I turned them into Buckhorns and must say they are very comfortable. Didn't have to change cables, wiring or brake lines either.. Handles awesome..
that couldn't of been easy to do.....

Old 09-27-2021, 04:30 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Decided I was tired of the wife saying my turns on the rear are not bright enough, since I changed them to LEDs, so swapped them back, but to black housings, which I picked up from another member on either this forum or another, and made sure they worked. Then, I figured, while I was at it, I would also try changing the handlebars, since I like drag bars better, and I had picked up a set of black risers, I think from a Street Bob, and tried to use my stock original drag bar, but the risers were for 1.25" bars, and mine has a 1" where the risers go on. Darn! So, I thought, what can I put over that to make it big enough? Maybe wrap it in 100mph tape? So, I tried it, and it seemed to work. Haven't gone on a ride, yet, but planning on doing it soon. That is, unless someone else has tried that, and ended up with the bars slipping too much. Then, I'll have to figure something else out. Once I got all the switches and levers moved over, I realized that the mounts for the MS Windshield I had on are too small to fit that bigger handlebar. When I checked the MS site, it said they should fit, but mine didn't have the adapter in them. I will either need to drill/grind them out, or get a new set of mounts. When I was looking for another set, I found some on Amazon for about $34, but then I found a nice windshield on eBay, but he only wanted local pickup, so I'm checking if he's willing to ship, since the price would be fantastic, but then my wife said she wouldn't mind if I switched with the MS Slim that's on her bike. Now, I'll have to see if the fork mounts will fit my 49mm forks, instead of her 39mm forks. I know they're adjustable, but not sure if they'll go that far. I may need to get another set of mounts, anyway. Funny thing is she said I probably could have simply swapped them, without telling her, and she likely wouldn't even have noticed. I'm still trying to get hers running, but it's a Honda. It cranked and putted for a while about a week ago, but after I tried to crank the throttle a little, it died, and now it won't start, but does crank just fine. Ran the battery down trying to start it, so re-charged the battery, and tried again, but still no go. Thought it might be the fuel filter clogged, so changed out the filter, but still not starting. May have to take it to someone to get it running, but since I also need to have the front tire changed, which I already bought the tire, tube, and rim strip for, shouldn't be a big deal.

The following users liked this post:
Garage Queen Rescue (09-27-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,042 Likes on 2,616 Posts

I have Flanders 12" mini apes on my '97 Wide Glide, very comfortable for all day riding. I have them pushed forward just enough, but not so far that I am leaning forward.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:38 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member

raining today...so she gets the tarp treatment.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:00 PM
MikeK13
Cruiser
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I have 16" apes on my Switch that i believe is a kit from HD, the bars were on the bike when i bought it. It comes with a 3" rise as well and they ar 1 1/4" diameter. Too tall for me so this spring i put on a 1" riser from LA Choppers. I don't find them too tall and i'm only 5'9. WIth the 3" rise they sure were though. I've spent many hours in the saddle since and don't experience any numbness in my hands but i do switch up riding with one hand and have a throttle lock.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?