Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Bike Gear relo kit and Leather pro install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Great Bike Gear relo kit and Leather pro install

Figured I'd start the next/last thread of winter modifications.

Jdisme and some of the others were able to help out with the GBG relocation kit, the instructions are relatively simple but as always until you get in there you just don't know what you're in for.

In my case since I'm also going to be installing my Leather Pro retro saddlebags I took this opportunity to pull the inside fender bracket.

In the case of the later model Dyna's, the bracket is only threaded on one end. The bolt that goes through the other end threads into the turn signals. So if you're going to mount the saddlebags you not only require the plate/signal relocation kit but also the Harley bracket kit for sissy bar's and such which is another $69. Suede was kind enough to source just the brackets for me, about $16 each plus shipping.

I decided I was opposed to this on philosophical grounds, Garry at LP also mentions that a person could tap threads into the stock sleeve so that's what I decided to do.

First I jacked up the bike prior to unbolting the bottoms of the shocks so that the rear wheel was out of the way for wiring. Then unplugged the wires located below the seat and pull them through the fender. Grimy!

This is the bracket sleeve that bolts into the turn signal, not threaded

Didn't realize that when I took those brackets off the fender would fall!

Turn signal dangling

In for a penny in for a pound. I don't own a tap set but our shop at work does thankfully.

Perfect threads!

I'm going to remove the reflector, and finish/document the rest of the install tomorrow. Any tips or tricks are always appreciated!

Last edited by robbyville; 03-26-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
glock35
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for doing the write up! I already have the GBG kit, but I'm hoping to get my Leather Pros soon and wondered how they would work with the kit.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll get it all written up tomorrow. Some folks have had a bit if rubbing between the signals and bags but nothing major.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 735 Likes on 505 Posts

Just a heads up, the fender will fall when you remove the fender support brackets

Well, since you've got the fender just sitting there you might as well get some soap and water and wash the inside, always better to work on clean stuff

Those reflectors come off easy on the rails and the sliders, dental floss, zip-zang you're done.

Looking great!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM
cdg097
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robby, thanks for this write-up. Lol, I was too close to my situation. I was looking to get the hardware out that the PO had use to mount my Viking bags, and he mounted one of them with the bolt head inside the fender, so I was thinking my only option was to wait until I got my new tires on before that could be fixed. I didn't even think about removing the bottom shock mount. I guess I'll be able to take care of it prior, haha.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:45 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Just a heads up, the fender will fall when you remove the fender support brackets

Well, since you've got the fender just sitting there you might as well get some soap and water and wash the inside, always better to work on clean stuff

Those reflectors come off easy on the rails and the sliders, dental floss, zip-zang you're done.

Looking great!
Yeah who would have thought!?

Definitely going to clean it all up, but that rear reflector is giving me grief

Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cdg097
Robby, thanks for this write-up. Lol, I was too close to my situation. I was looking to get the hardware out that the PO had use to mount my Viking bags, and he mounted one of them with the bolt head inside the fender, so I was thinking my only option was to wait until I got my new tires on before that could be fixed. I didn't even think about removing the bottom shock mount. I guess I'll be able to take care of it prior, haha.
It's funny how some of these solutions seem to sneak up on us

Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Yeah who would have thought!?

Definitely going to clean it all up, but that rear reflector is giving me grief
If there's still adhesive left on the paint and you can't get it with goo gone, pick up an eraser wheel, or rubber wheel for your drill. Don't worry it won't hurt your paint, I have used it on many bikes and de-badged my entire truck with it. Hit the adhesive with the wheel, little goo gone or 3M adhesive remover and it'll be good as new. I would recommend a fresh coat of wax after using the goo gone or adhesive remover as well.

As far as tapping the holes in those brackets, if I remember correctly I think that piece is pressed in.. (At least mine was) I think I broke mine loose when tightening it and ended up putting a nut on the backside. If the same happens to you just make sure you'll have clearance between the side of the tire and the bolt/nut. You'll love those bags man, also do yourself a favor and put a little Chapstick in the female side of the buttons, it will make snapping/ unsnapping much easier... I broke the rivets on both my rear buttons before I figured that out haha

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 735 Likes on 505 Posts

That rear reflector is held on by a big gob of goo.

Kick it's ***, SeaBass!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man

Quick Reply: Great Bike Gear relo kit and Leather pro install