Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult to remove forks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default How difficult to remove forks?

I'm considering installing ohlins cartridges in my fork, once the snow falls. If I do, I'll need to pull my fork tubes and send them down to motorcyclemetal in Fl. According to the service manual, it looks pretty simple... 8 bolts and the calipers come off (Duals) axle, fender, and 4 bolts on the trees. Is it as simple as that? Any installation concerns? Seems equally straightforward - no alignment issues as the axle will basically self align them, right?

Anything I'm not thinking about? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Taking the forks off is pretty straight forward but take a ride height measurement first. This will be done with the front wheel off the bike. Hook to lower triple clamp and then measure down to the axle center.

When you reassemble the bike use that measurement to set the forks back to where they belong. Chances are when the cartridges are installed the forks will be different lengths from stock. Then you put the other side on using the axle to align it with the other side. Slowly move the second fork up and down in the triple clamp until the axle spins as easy as it can. This is down without the wheel on. The top of the forks might be at slightly different heights through the top of the triple. It's possible when they were assembled the springs, spacers and other pieces used one side got pieces on one side of the tolerance scale and the other side got pieces on the other side of the scale. It shouldn't be a large difference.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Fork Removal

Just unbolt after everything else is loose and off from the trees on down. Very easy. Remember to inspect all parts than use Zip Lock plastic bags & a Sharpee to mark all. Throw them in a box. Make sure you compare all. Use Never-seeze on axle. When you are just sitting around clean your caliper pads, better than doing Honey-Do's when the snow is flying. When changing fork internals it is a good time prior to figure if you wish to change the slider finish.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Just unbolt after everything else is loose and off from the trees on down. Very easy. Remember to inspect all parts than use Zip Lock plastic bags & a Sharpee to mark all. Throw them in a box. Make sure you compare all. Use Never-seeze on axle. When you are just sitting around clean your caliper pads, better than doing Honey-Do's when the snow is flying. When changing fork internals it is a good time prior to figure if you wish to change the slider finish.
Sounds like both of you have done this once or twice...

I was considering black sliders, but I like the mix of black and silver/chrome I have, so I'll prob stick with what I have. Now to figure out how to have $1800 vanish from the bank account...

Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

I was considering black sliders, but I like the mix of black and silver/chrome I have, so I'll prob stick with what I have. Now to figure out how to have $1800 vanish from the bank account...
i've got ohlin piggy backs (get em from howard .. good deal .. good service) on the rear .. i am in the process doing a race tech swap for the fronts .. i am letting the factory do the install .. gunna run about 450$ .. valves ..springs seals and oil .. plus shipping .. i think that race tech will be a better value .. i put the big $$ on the rear . just saying

Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by motorbikemike48
i've got ohlin piggy backs (get em from howard .. good deal .. good service) on the rear .. i am in the process doing a race tech swap for the fronts .. i am letting the factory do the install .. gunna run about 450$ .. valves ..springs seals and oil .. plus shipping .. i think that race tech will be a better value .. i put the big $$ on the rear . just saying
I've already got Ohlins S36E's on the rear - the basic model but great nonetheless. I also have the Racetech springs and emulators in the fork, and while a great improvement over stock, the Ohlins cartridges will be a big upgrade from that. I'm not planning on a new bike for several years, and if I do, these will stay with me.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
You better hope so, especially since the post you quoted is from the guy you're sending your stuff to.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by nevil
You better hope so, especially since the post you quoted is from the guy you're sending your stuff to.
Yeah, I was kinda joking with Howard...

Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Super easy, check out my Ricor intiminator and traxxion springs thread. I went back and forth as to remove or not. 15 minutes max... Install is same but you will need a torque wrench either inch lbs or ft lbs (but low numbers), if I remember right for the pinch bolts.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,910 Posts

If you have a good set of tools, they are not hard to remove, you will need to jack up the front end and remove wheel first. had mine off a while back to install intiminators, not hard at all to do, just am not that impressed with the intiminators though.