Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL rear fender support hardware question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FXDL rear fender support hardware question.

Removed my rear fender last night on my 08 to run a relocation kit and so forth and cant remember if there was a washer between the fender and fender support on the back. I see a large washer on the front holes of each side but cant remember if there was a smaller washer in the back.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkos1980
Removed my rear fender last night on my 08 to run a relocation kit and so forth and cant remember if there was a washer between the fender and fender support on the back. I see a large washer on the front holes of each side but cant remember if there was a smaller washer in the back.
I don't recall there being any, but it's been a while since I did mine. Is there a diagram in the service manual? Mine is home so I can't check.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

The diagrams for your year do not show any washers on the supports, front or rear. The manual I have shows a bracket mount with pressed in fasteners that the forward torx head mounting cap screws screw into. The rear bolt screws into the turn signal support without a washer to secure the rear. That is what is on my son's '04 Low Rider. If you have bolts and nuts with washers, it is not original according to the manual I am looking at and what is on my son's 2004 model.

My '01 SG does not have this setup, it uses a bolt with washer in the front and a chrome acorn nut on the outside. The rear bolt mounts the turn signal and does not have a washer.

I would not recommend washers on the back side between the tire and fender unless you are also using low profile lock nuts or mounting the bolts inside to outside. The clearance between the tire and nut may be compromised and could damage your tire. (don't ask how I know this).