Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Siezed rear wheel bearing newer DYNA's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

It seems to be a known problem on recent Fat Bobs - not sure about other Dynas. As someone posted above HD have moved to lower cost , no-name bearings.

I just replaced mine with higher quality SKF bearing when I changed my tyres at about 8k miles. The old ones were OK, but why take the chance?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:02 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by FISM
It seems HD decided to go with a single row bearing instead of a double row like they used on 2006 and older bikes. The newer bikes have a thinner single row bearing, and yes bikes are having failures which ensures Harley Davidson's financial future.
For clarification...

The wider bearings which came OEM up through 2007 are also SINGLE Row bearings (contrary to popular belief by people who have never disassembled them), but of better design and by quality manufactures.

If you really interested in making your bearing situation better, you can convert your bike over to the 1" wider 2000-2007 bearings. But the dealer may not do it for you. Custom spacers, bored rear caliper bracket , and 2006-07 front / rear axles are required

Originally Posted by Kraken
They switched to crap Chinese bearings. I switched to Timkens(205pp). Use SKF or Timken. I've had a rear wheel bearing failure at about 40mph before and I don't want to imagine a front wheel bearing failure. Ate up the wheel hub, brake caliper mount, and rotor. I've seen a few posts about using W205PP Timkens which are wider but you'd have to redo the spacers.

I don't trust the HD techs to install the bearings right either.
You benefit by using a better bearing, but you would gain nothing between the two Timkens...205pp and W205pp are the same bearing design, just the races are made wider for different application requirements

Last edited by multihdrdr; 06-27-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
For clarification...
You benefit by using a better bearing, but you would gain nothing between the two Timkens...205pp and W205pp are the same bearing design, just made wider for application requirements
I kinda thought that which is why I went with the regular 205PP. Doing the wider ones seemed more trouble than it was worth and unnecessary cost. I'm still wondering if I could get the hub sleeved on the damaged wheel otherwise I'm going to turn it into a shop stool or something... it's been sitting there for a while.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:24 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

You could probably get it repaired, but depending on what wheel it is, it might not be cost effective

BER = Beyond Economical Repair

Old 06-27-2016, 08:32 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

If you get the tools to do it yourself make darn sure you understand how to install the bearings properly. Front wheel it's left side of bike, as viewed sitting in seat, drives in first until fully seated, insert spacer, then right side until contacting spacer. The manual calls the first bearing side the 'primary side' which can be confusing since it's not referring to your primary drive side.

Rear wheel it's right side first (rotor side), the wheel has a machined lip for the bearing to seat against, then insert spacer, then pulley side bearing until touching spacer. I like to torque the bearings using the tool to about 20ft-lb. Letters/numbers facing out. If you have ABS there's some extra steps in there that you'd have to check with your manual on. Might even change the order the bearings are driven in. Again, check your manual.

Also the spacer needs to be longer than the length of the bore in the hub, I think I'm wording that right. .so the second bearing that gets driven in is able to seat against it. Should be fine if stock but doesn't hurt to double check while apart.

Last edited by mattVA; 06-27-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:40 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Old 06-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,281 Likes on 3,642 Posts

Originally Posted by FISM
Well obviously it is especially if you up the power from stock. I did an initial search for bad bearings but had better luck with bearing FAILURE! It seems HD decided to go with a single row bearing instead of a double row like they used on 2006 and older bikes. The newer bikes have a thinner single row bearing, and yes bikes are having failures which ensures Harley Davidson's financial future.
But hey thanks for stopping by and taking the time for an educated reply!
FWIW the older wide bearings weren't double row, they just had better seals.. Got any laying around? Pry the seal off..