Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Top Triple Clamp on a 2010 Dyna Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
kblues
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Top Triple Clamp on a 2010 Dyna Street Bob

New member here... hello everyone !

I have a 2010 Dyna Street Bob. I am wanting to change the handlebars / risers to something similar to the Low Rider. Am even considering the current Low Rider riser set up with the adjustable risers.

To do this I need to replace the top triple clamp on my 2010 FXDB.

I want to try to find a top triple clamp that is a used Harley take off piece from another Dyna (somewhere between 2006 and current), rather than looking at buying something new ( and much more expensive). I need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

I have been doing a lot of research on this but frankly I am still not completely clear on which years Dynas and which Harley parts #s will fit on my 2010 FXDB. I have been using the site called "Ronnies HD", with it's parts finding database, (a great parts finding tool) to search and learn about specific parts # for specific bikes through out the years.

Does anyone know which years' and which Dynas' top triple clamps, specifically, will work as a replacement on my Street Bob ?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:32 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Need some light here, why do you need to change the Top Triple to change risers and handlebars.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Low Rider trees have 1.5 deg rake built into them. The easiest direct swap would be from a Super Glide. I might have a set for sale shortly.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by kblues
New member here... hello everyone !

I have a 2010 Dyna Street Bob. I am wanting to change the handlebars / risers to something similar to the Low Rider. Am even considering the current Low Rider riser set up with the adjustable risers.

To do this I need to replace the top triple clamp on my 2010 FXDB.

I want to try to find a top triple clamp that is a used Harley take off piece from another Dyna (somewhere between 2006 and current), rather than looking at buying something new ( and much more expensive). I need to keep the cost down as much as possible.

I have been doing a lot of research on this but frankly I am still not completely clear on which years Dynas and which Harley parts #s will fit on my 2010 FXDB. I have been using the site called "Ronnies HD", with it's parts finding database, (a great parts finding tool) to search and learn about specific parts # for specific bikes through out the years.

Does anyone know which years' and which Dynas' top triple clamps, specifically, will work as a replacement on my Street Bob ?
I have a set of trees that would accomplish your needs, but they need to either be stripped and polished or powder coated.
Name:  photo2_zps3e2ae7a1.jpg
Views: 2891
Size:  80.6 KB

Originally Posted by Smogbob
Need some light here, why do you need to change the Top Triple to change risers and handlebars.
Top trees on the 2010 had the integrated riser, which doesn't allow for different types of risers to be used.

The following users liked this post:
Smogbob (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:20 PM
kblues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I have a set of trees that would accomplish your needs, but they need to either be stripped and polished or powder coated.

Top trees on the 2010 had the integrated riser, which doesn't allow for different types of risers to be used.
Thank you for your offer. But I am guessing that possibly, besides buying these from you, also having them stripped and polished might end up being more costly than finding a top triple clamp that can just be put on my bike.

Can I ask specifically what year and what dyna these are from ?

thanks...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:22 PM
kblues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Low Rider trees have 1.5 deg rake built into them. The easiest direct swap would be from a Super Glide. I might have a set for sale shortly.
Thanks... I didn't realize that rake was different in the triple trees of the Low Riders. I thought that it was in the frame. Good to know.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:24 PM
kblues
Intermediate

Does anyone know specifically if the top triple clamp from the 2006, 2007 Dyna Street Bob's will fit on the 2010 FXDB ?

I am seeing several of these currently on Ebay for around $100 for that clamp alone.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Thank you for your offer. But I am guessing that possibly, besides buying these from you, also having them stripped and polished might end up being more costly than finding a top triple clamp that can just be put on my bike.

Can I ask specifically what year and what dyna these are from ?

thanks...

The bottom tree is from my 2010 Street Bob, the top tree is from a Super Glide, not sure about the year. I know when I picked up the top tree, they were a hot item and brought a pretty penny because nobody wanted that stock top tree. At the time they went for about $200 easy, not sure these days. Other then the classified here or eBay, if you used FB, there is a dyna classifieds group there that you might have luck with.

As for my set of trees, I don't expect to make my money back by any means when they do go, but rather then put them in the classifieds, I just share them with others like here. I have been thinking about stripping them and clear coating them at some point to bring them back to OEM looks.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:36 PM
kblues
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Smogbob
Well I would much rather not have to deal with changing the top triple clamp.
But I want to change my set up to use bars and risers similar to those on the Low Rider.

A few years ago I had a 2006 FXDB which I did exactly this kind of change to. I changed the handlebars and risers to those from a Low Rider. I prefer that to the Mini Ape Hangers that are stock on the Street Bob. But on my current 2010 Street Bob I cannot just change the risers because the stock top triple clamp with the integrated riser greatly limits what I can do with the risers.

I know that LA Choppers makes a 1" and 2" riser spacer for these bikes, and they look nice. But I want a pull back 4" riser. Apparently no one makes anything like that currently.

Doing some research I did find some threads on this forum, from several years ago, about a company called Loner Industries which made similar 1" and 2" riser spacers (as LA Choppers now offers)... but they also made 4" riser spacers, and longer. I contacted Loner Industries and they wrote back and said that while they are still in business, they are not currently making these products and have no idea when or if they will ever make them again.

So... wanting pullback 4", or so, risers I don't have many choices. Changing the top triple clamp to one that allows me to use regular risers solves that problem.

If, by any chance, anyone here happens to have a pair of those Loner Industries 4" Riser Spacers for the 2008-2012 Street Bob and would like to sell them please do let me know !

Last edited by kblues; 04-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Does anyone know specifically if the top triple clamp from the 2006, 2007 Dyna Street Bob's will fit on the 2010 FXDB ?

I am seeing several of these currently on Ebay for around $100 for that clamp alone.
They should, there a mid-glide 49mm 0° rake tree on all Street Bobs, the only difference is the top clamp between years.

Quick Reply: Changing Top Triple Clamp on a 2010 Dyna Street Bob