Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can I ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:56 AM
jeffbcn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long can I ride?

Got my first Harley a bit less than 2 months ago and absolutly love it! I wish I had done it decades ago. Here's my question, I'm 55. How much longer can I expect to be able to ride? What is the oldest rider you know?

[IMG]local://upfiles/31662/1C64E18D7C1647F4BE8952EE75860F50.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 PM
reno572
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How long can I ride?

Congrats on the bike! All depends on how ya take care of yourself. Growing old is mandatory-acting you're own age is optional.(My old man used to always say that) Just ride it till ya can't hold it up anymore-then get a trike! I know an 78 year old that rides an Ultra 15000 mile a year-and he ain't in shape at all. Well, I guess roung is a shape.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Ole Geezer
Cruiser

I would imagine that would depend on YOU and YOUR health (ability to ride). I know guys that are in their 70'sand ride almost daily. They don't enter any motocross events anymore but they do get out and ride their fugly dressers almost daily. Gonna hear from those that ride those FUGLY dressers now - I can tell, lol.

We are close to the same age. I hope to still be riding in 20 years - if I live that long. Somebody has to show these KIDS how to ride, lol

I figure I have over 1 million miles on 2 wheels - so far.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:20 PM
GeeRam
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago here in the UK, there was a quite famous old motorcycle engineer who IIRC had had his own self designed motorcycle manufacturers before WW2 and was still regularily riding well into his 90's.....

As others have said, I personally know many still riding in their 60's/70's on a regular basis.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Depends on the person. We all know people who are riding in their 70's. But that's the exception rather than the rule. Take a close look at bikes around town and around the state. You don't find many octagenarians out there.

In my job, I have the great pleasure of working with a lot of people in their 60's+. I have pictures on my wall, and so we foten talk about bikes. Many of them used to ride, but quit in their mid-late 60's. That seems to be the norm.

Why quit? Lots of reasons. Reaction times slow, arthrits and chronic pain take the fun out of it, etc. And, I think, at some point we realize that we don't bounce anymore.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Trotter
Banned

My Grand Father rode till he was 81.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum, youngster (to me you are anyway, and to Harley ownership!! It'll keep you young!! And a bit poorer - LOL! I just got back in the saddle at 60 after a two decade hiatus from my old sportster - it just took 20 years off my life - seriously. Blood pressure down, chloresterol down, energy up, etc, etc. Getting out more and doing more. Best medicine for late middle age I can think of. Ride til ya drop!! I plan to.

Very nice Wide Glide by the way!
Chip

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't like to hear people talking about "how long can i ride", no offence made, but, everyone should know their limits and know when to either stop, or slow down. I've thought about the same thing, I'm 59, but, don't feel 59, I work with guys in their early to mid 30's they are a bunch of slugs, can't work, don't want to work, etc, ect. I learned my work ethics from my DAD and MOM, as my brothers, your mind set plays a big part as well. I don't think of myself as a 30ish type guy, but, i know i've got to keep putting one foot in front of another. When i can't throw my leg over the seat, then, maybe i'll know it's time to stop.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:56 PM
theoldguy
Tourer

there's such a thing as not riding??? Well, unless you're bike's in the shop, but other than that...

Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Punty
Road Warrior

My Grandfather is 93 (he'll be 94 on the 21st). He still rides, probally 7-10k miles a year. Hey about 7 years ago he finally stopped riding in the snow.

So who knows?

Quick Reply: How long can I ride?