Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions and would you...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Decisions and would you...

Many of you know me, where I started how I've learned and what I've done. Option in front of me potentially curious if it makes sense.

I love my bike, it's a 2014 street bob. I've changed cams, ported heads, air filters, 107 cubes new pistons, new tires, exhaust suspension upgrades, bars, bags, etc. I love how it rides and enjoy a new project, I'm
Mostly done with mods.

Guy may want to buy it for around $14k. I still owe around $4500 on the bike. Thinking of selling so that I can buy something older or around a same time frame and have a new project even though I'll be putting money into it...

Thoughts? Worthwhile, should I take advantage of someone willing to pay the dollars for the mods that I've done knowing that normally they mean diddly squat from a resale value perspective?

Old 09-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

If you like it, and can't replace it for that, I'd hold on to it. If you want something else, most people won't pay for upgrades.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

You only live once, buy a new bike!

Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

not often that someone pops up asking to have their head cracked open. get to cracking.

The following users liked this post:
robbyville (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Many of you know me, where I started how I've learned and what I've done. Option in front of me potentially curious if it makes sense.

I love my bike, it's a 2014 street bob. I've changed cams, ported heads, air filters, 107 cubes new pistons, new tires, exhaust suspension upgrades, bars, bags, etc. I love how it rides and enjoy a new project, I'm
Mostly done with mods.

Guy may want to buy it for around $14k. I still owe around $4500 on the bike. Thinking of selling so that I can buy something older or around a same time frame and have a new project even though I'll be putting money into it...

Thoughts? Worthwhile, should I take advantage of someone willing to pay the dollars for the mods that I've done knowing that normally they mean diddly squat from a resale value perspective?
Dude you'll miss your Amber Whisky Bob...!
You will only have 10k once you pay off. Seems like it dosn't make sense from a financial point of view but I guess you have to consider that you are done and want a new project...just remember, you'll have to live with the choice once she's gone.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:12 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by freebaggin
Dude you'll miss your Amber Whisky Bob...!
You will only have 10k once you pay off. Seems like it dosn't make sense from a financial point of view but I guess you have to consider that you are done and want a new project...just remember, you'll have to live with the choice once she's gone.
Other than the amber whiskey part the rest is true, especially since I haven't even found a new bike yet.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is keeping your bike, paying it off, and then buying another project out of the question? You have put a lot of work into it bro and its a damn fine machine!

On the other hand, if your REAL enjoyment is working on bikes and you feel like you have done all you want to do to your current ride, well then.........

I personally would keep it, pay it off, then pick up another project, and while you are building that 2nd bike, you still have your finished bike to enjoy!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I would really have a hard time letting that thing go, brother. That was a lot of work making it yours and it looks great.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I've faced that question more than half-a-dozen times in my life in roughly 5-year intervals, and every time except the last time, I did the "sensible" thing an sold the old unit....

...and every time I quickly regretted it, and still do. So, last time I did something different: I kept my old ride (a 1992 BMW R100R) and bought something different (my current 2011 SB).

Although the few extra bucks seemed useful at the time, and got me That Shiny New Thang quicker, I could have waited, saved up a little longer, bought something slightly older etc, and by now ended up with a stable-full of awesome (to me at least) bikes.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Is keeping your bike, paying it off, and then buying another project out of the question? You have put a lot of work into it bro and its a damn fine machine!

On the other hand, if your REAL enjoyment is working on bikes and you feel like you have done all you want to do to your current ride, well then.........

I personally would keep it, pay it off, then pick up another project, and while you are building that 2nd bike, you still have your finished bike to enjoy!
Originally Posted by Davdoodles
I've faced that question more than half-a-dozen times in my life in roughly 5-year intervals, and every time except the last time, I did the "sensible" thing an sold the old unit....

...and every time I quickly regretted it, and still do. So, last time I did something different: I kept my old ride (a 1992 BMW R100R) and bought something different (my current 2011 SB).

Although the few extra bucks seemed useful at the time, and got me That Shiny New Thang quicker, I could have waited, saved up a little longer, bought something slightly older etc, and by now ended up with a stable-full of awesome (to me at least) bikes.
You guys may be right... the option of two bikes frankly doesn't exist at this time, both financially and from a family perspective. My wife "gets it" but there is a point beyond which her understanding ends, especially since I also ride extremely expensive bicycles ($10k + and have extra wheels, etc). I do worry that I would regret selling the bike, I've had such a blast, trial and error alike and it really is where I want it. I sent the fellow (who I used to work with) a note with a price but also letting him know that in all fairness he could get a brand new Street Bob at the same price and probably enjoy it as much for him (it would be his first bike in over 20 years), and that if he wanted me to help him shop for a new or used one that id be happy to help. If he still wants mine, not sure that it makes sense for him but that I'd consider it and he could try it out.

Quick Reply: Decisions and would you...