Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Brake Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Easy Brake Mod

AAny suggestions on a simple (maybe considered Stage 1) brake mod for a Dyna - FXDC - Superglide 2013. It has single disk brake with abs.

Rear brakes do their job in a very limited way. They help stablize the bike but realy arent strong enough to stop it.

Front brakes do work, but they require, in my opinion to much pressure to stop the bike.

Some people say bikes that have double front brakes, stop to much.

Im looking to just changing something to stop better not make them double.

thanks

Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by LAFO
AAny suggestions on a simple (maybe considered Stage 1) brake mod for a Dyna - FXDC - Superglide 2013. It has single disk brake with abs.

Rear brakes do their job in a very limited way. They help stablize the bike but realy arent strong enough to stop it.

Front brakes do work, but they require, in my opinion to much pressure to stop the bike.

Some people say bikes that have double front brakes, stop to much.

Im looking to just changing something to stop better not make them double.

thanks
better pads, braided lines, rotor upgrades. Arlen Ness big brake kit is a winner on a single disk bike.

"no stopping too much" with duals. it's better control. less lever effort. YMMV

The following users liked this post:
LAFO (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
better pads, braided lines, rotor upgrades. Arlen Ness big brake kit is a winner on a single disk bike.
Agree. Cheap and easy to start with better pads and fresh fluid, see if you still need more.

LAFO (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:27 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Go with Lyndall brake pads, plus no more brake dust. I think the brake lines are already steel braided.

LAFO (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

It’s got ABS.....how much pressure are we talking about?

You say the rear brake won’t stop the bike? It should, maybe it needs to be adjusted?

Have you ever just “ slammed” on the brakes to see how much you need to get the abs to kick in?

I agree upgrading to better pads etc should help, but the stock abs should stop the bike adequately....

LAFO (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Another vote for the Ness big brake kit. Along with EBC pads it transformed the bikes's braking power enormously.

LAFO (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

ABS bikes already have braided lines.
Upgrade your front rotor with a 15" Arlen Ness, and use EBC EPFA pads front and rear, a flush with motul RBF600 and you're good to go !

Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM
LAFO
Cruiser

I really have no idea how I can explain the pressure needed, but I do feel momentum beats my brakes.

How can it be adjusted? Does the adjustment give of more brake pressure?

I've "slammed " my brakes on sand and water just testing abs works and seen it activate about 2 or 3 times braking while riding over certains sandy streets. ABS is fine. I just mentioned it in case it was relevant to any suggestions of brake kits.

Guess everyone must be right suggesting changing the pads from stock HD to other brand. I bought some generic ones at amazon a while back just to have as spare and test out. Now seeing brakepad suggestion, I will probably check Lyndall and EBC, even the Arlen Ness big brake

thanks for all those suggestions

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
It’s got ABS.....how much pressure are we talking about?

You say the rear brake won’t stop the bike? It should, maybe it needs to be adjusted?

Have you ever just “ slammed” on the brakes to see how much you need to get the abs to kick in?

I agree upgrading to better pads etc should help, but the stock abs should stop the bike adequately....

Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
LAFO
Cruiser

I found this review on the web from another forum. Its about the generic "Volar" brake pads I got in Amazon. Just if someone else bought tham as well they might give a little peace of mind. This isnt what I´m looking for, but they will do just fine to take on a tripo as spare brake pads.

"Long term review: Volar Motorsports brake pads.
Disclaimer: These are cheap pads commonly available on fleabay or Amazon. I realize this brings out the hysterics so know this: I don't care if you disapprove, or think spending $12 on a set is foolish, or risky. I've used plenty of EBC's and OEM's and using these was as much a test as it was a long term strategy - if in any way I felt they were poor, faulty, or I experienced danger while braking with them I would have pulled them off and replaced them with haste.

So, with that, I have 15k on a set of front and rear pads using the Volar Carbon Kevlar pads from Amazon. Ordered as a set they are $24 shipped, or about $12 for either end.

The kevlar/sintered debate aside (I prefer carbon kevlar as I ride a lot of wet & dirty conditions and prefer the better stopping in poor conditions verses the dry grip superiority of sintered pads), what I really wanted to know with these pads is are they decent enough to use in the place of OEM or EBC's, and how was their longevity and stopping power by comparison.

So, when my bike was new (to me) it had half-worn EBC HH sintered pads on it, and as a test I did some panic stopping on the side street I live in and marked & measured the distance and then repeated the test with the Volar pads when new, half used, and now near the end of their life, along with comparing overall feel and performance in dry and inclement conditions.

I did a stop at 30mph, and one at 60mph...trying my absolute best to be consistent and stop as smoothly and firmly as possible without wheel lockup/ABS kicking in. I did 3 stops per test and averaged the stops.

So, here's what I found and realize this ain't science just my experience on an '09 Wee that's ridden fairly hard.

1. The Volars did not stop as well as the EBH sintered pads, in dry conditions. But, that difference was marginal...just under 3' longer from a 60mph hard stop (130 feet verses 133 with the Volars). This is not surprising to me, I expected a difference and actually expected more of one.

2. The Volar carbon kevlars did not deteriorate much at all in stopping power from new to half used to nearly gone. In fact, on any given day I had a hard time telling if the braking distance was me or the pads...it was usually within a couple feet, plus or minus. This was a favorable result, and I'm very surprised to see that kind of consistency throughout their lifespan.

3. Their performance in dirt and wet weather was noticeably better than the EBH pads, they shed water very quickly, and gripped hard in mud or heavy rains. If there is a "felt" difference on dry pavement, it was beyond my senses to pick up.

4. Because of #3, I suspect, they did not last long in my use. By 10k miles the fronts were nearly 2/3's gone and have not been ridden hard the last 5k, the rears are about 1/2 gone at 15k. I suspected they were a short-life pad, and that appears to be about what I thought I might get out of them. In general, I'm very hard on chains, tires & pads.

5. They have not been noisy or squeaked at all, and having run carbon kevlars on dirt bikes many times before I was a little surprised, as most have been chirpier than HH or sintered pads.

So, have they done well for me? Yes, absolutely...they have exceeded my expectations and I think the value is hard to deny if you are hard on pads (as I am). I have not so far experienced any erratic, deteriorated or bad braking behaviors from these pads, and having removed them today and given them a good examination they appear to be very evenly worn with no glazing, hot spots or separation from the base plates. In heft and feel, they appear no better or worse than the stockers or EBH pads. Would I buy them again? Already did, have a set coming via Amazon today. So, take this all for what it's worth...just one guy's experience. If you have used these and have a comment, I'd like to hear it, good or bad and if you are considering using them I hope this gives a little perspective from a real world user."

Last edited by LAFO; 04-19-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:47 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Thanks for the detailed review. Like you, I prefer non-metallic pads. Usually Carbon Kevlar. Unfortunately EBC normal offerings for bikes are all sintered. I'm not certain about the F & FP compounds.

Lyndall pads are all (I believe) Carbon blends.

Quick Reply: Easy Brake Mod