Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome to black by myself

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:39 AM
Magiclint
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome to black by myself

Hi all.

So I have quite a bit of chrome on my Dyna Super Glide Custom, which to be fair I'm not a great fan of. I prefer the matte black look, the kind you get on Irons etc. I don't have the funds to take it to be powder coated or painted by a pro, so was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to paint some bits black.
For example, the horn cover, air intake cover etc. Is it a case of just taking off and spraying with VHT paint, something like this...
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/paints-and-primers/high-temp-paint/?549772211&0&cc5_161&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgOLE_JCa2wI V7bftCh02NQhQEAQYASABEgII6PD_BwE
Or do I need to prep the parts before hand, like sand them down or something?
Advice appreciated.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:56 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

You can do what I do, and that is look on facebook/ebay etc and buy the parts used already in black. Turn around and sell your chrome bits to help reduce the costs. I'm terrible at painting/prepping, so this is my alternative lol

Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I've had pretty good luck with VHT over scuffed chrome. The epoxy paint is more durable but I don't think they offer it in matte.

Beyond proper paint selection, success is in the prep. Scuff, clean, cure.

Investigate you local powder coating options. Get an estimate for some small parts. You may find it's cheaper than expected.

Last edited by cggorman; 05-23-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

If your going to permanently paint them, I would scuff them first to take the shine off and then clean them with a wax and grease remover. Or you could use Plasti-dip in a spray can, it works real well and can be peeled off if you don't like it. It's very durable and will last a long time. It can also be touched up pretty easy. I'm a big fan of Krylon spray bomb paints, I've found them to be the easiest to spray and most durable.

Steve

Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I blacked out a number of smaller chrome bits on my bike. indicators, mirrors and some other bits and bobs. You really have scuff the hell out of the chrome and get the shiny chrome completely gone , paint just doesn't like to stick to it unless you really mess the surface up.

I laid paint on thick. I used 2 coats of primer, at least 4 coats of black (if I remember correctly I used an Acrylic auto paint), then 2 coats of 2K clear.

Your other option is Plasti-dip

Old 05-23-2018, 02:49 PM
mlayne915
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used black plasti-dip on aircleaner, fender struts, turn signals, batt cover, and VHT high temp on the exhaust.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

My vote is for plastidip. If you don't like it you can take it off pretty easily, yet it stays put very well until you decide to do so.

That way if you go to sell it down the line you have options about it. If you sand up the chrome it will never look like chrome again. Plus sometimes things grow on you or you decide you painted one piece too many, the plastidip allows you to go back. Wouldn't use it on the exhaust, though there are very few things you can use on an exhaust due to the heat.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:47 PM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed on all the above - but would also recommend getting quote from local powder coater as it's typically a lot cheaper (especially for smaller parts) than you'd expect! Example - powder coating my handlebars locally was $30

Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 PM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're really on a budget, you could clean it up real nice, tape it off and use some good high-heat (VHT or whatever). I'm not necessarily suggesting that, but it seems to have worked for this dude (not my bike).

Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I've had pretty good luck with VHT over scuffed chrome. The epoxy paint is more durable but I don't think they offer it in matte.

Beyond proper paint selection, success is in the prep. Scuff, clean, cure.

Investigate you local powder coating options. Get an estimate for some small parts. You may find it's cheaper than expected.
"Scuffed Chrome!" I almost got sick

I'm half drunk...but I like shinny--I like chrome--the more chrome the better shinny shinny my precious! Beside without chrome what would I get drunk and polish? Guess I'm old skool guys "It aint cool if your chrome dont shine"

Ah to each thier own my brothers--may the rubber side always stay on the bottom!

Last edited by Davidson Harley; 05-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrome to black by myself