Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fullface helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:06 AM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

I like the Shoei RF1200. Snell approved, and it's comfortable, quiet and looks pretty good too.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I’ve been all over the map on this. Just last week I posted in a thread on beanie helmets about how I’m claustrophobic and hate wearing helmets. So what did I do? Monday I went to Iron Pony in Columbus and bought a Shoei RF-SR. My whole aversion to wearing helmets is weird actually, seeing as how most of my 45 year motorcycling career has been spent in helmet law states and I always wore a FF. It’s only since I moved to Ohio and got used to riding without a helmet that I decided I hate wearing one. But I really do need to wear a FF if for no other reason than I’m a melanoma survivor and need the sun protection. SO, I decided maybe my problem was my helmets were cheap. I haven’t owned a really nice helmet since I retired my KRW years ago. After spending a long time in the store and trying on numerous helmets I had it narrowed down to the Bell Bullitt and the Shoei. Both the Bell and the Shoei were very comfortable and I was drawn to the retro look of the Bell but decided on the Shoei based on the salesman’s recommendation. He said he owned one of each and preferred the Shoei for long distance riding because it was quieter and just all around more deluxe. He said he preferred his Bullitt for short trips and putting around town. I guess that might be part of your answer. What kind of riding do you do? I do a lot of long distance riding and hate wind noise when I wear a helmet. I also hate having to crack open the face shield to keep from suffocating in hot weather. I’m happy to report the Shoei solves both of those issues. I got to try it out immediately, wearing it home on the interstate in hot weather and Columbus traffic. It’s very comfortable and feels lighter than it actually is. It’s the quietest helmet I’ve ever owned by a long shot, and breathes exceptionally well. I’ve only owned it two days and about 5 hours worth of combined interstate, city and country riding but based on my experience so far I would highly recommend it or one of the more high end Shoei helmets depending on your budget.

Of course, as others have said though, you have to try them on. Different helmet makers design their helmets for different shaped heads. My head just happens to be the perfect shaped head for a Shoei helmet so it fits me like a glove without any need for cheek pad replacement or any of that. Also, don’t cheap out. That was my problem before. The Shoei RF-SR was a bargain at $369. Any less than that and I doubt if I would be happy.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 AM
nhbubba
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My primary street lid is a Shoei Qwest. Great helmet. Well made. Nice materials. Super comfortable. Quiet. Composite shell. Well rated. I think they've backed the prices down on this helmet so it is quite reasonable now.
Bell used to make an RS-1, which was a great helmet at a really great price. I bought a couple when I was racing and still keep them around as spares. They replaced the lineup with Star line. I checked them out and talked with a rep at a show and was let down; more money, no significant improvements. Although I see they now have an RS-2 which I suspect is another run of the RS-1 shell or something. I bet its worth a look. Although if you use comms the Bell may not be the best answer. Lots of my friends are complaining about the Bell Star helmets being too tight a fit in the chin, nose and mouth area. The RS-1 is definitely a shorter chin bar than my Shoei. But I didn't think it was that bad.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Lopro
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from a Bell Pit Boss to a Badass Carbon Air, a night and day caparison , like wearing noting at all for great for summer riding. Have been thinking of using a full face for touring and winter weather , tried a few settled on the C3 Pro Schuberth it is a modular helmet, have been using it off and on for a month , love the options so far just hard to get used to after riding so long with a brain bucket.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:41 PM
VegasDyna
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried on a ton at Cycle Gear and wound up with a Bilt Fusion. It was the cheapest they had at $60, which is perfect because I have a $60 head. (One note: Every helmet I've ever had has been XL, but this one is XXL.)

No complaints after 3 years with it. But one day I'll step up to a better one with Bluetooth - I'd like some music on my commutes.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Remember too that most helmet makers sell different mm thickness check pads. My dualsport helmet i swapped them out to make it fit a little better. Revzilla is great btw as they will take a helmet back if you try it on and send you a different size of your choice with no restocking fees.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I tried on a bunch of helmets today. This is the one that fit really good and came highly recommended. I didn't get it because I want a black no graphics version, plus it was pretty high dollar and I need to think about it. Also it fit as a medium and all my past helmets have been large.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Nolan N100-5

Originally Posted by hell hound
Thinking of switching back to a fullface. What do you think is the best fullface and why? Important to me would be obviously good protection, quite, all day comfort.
Nolan N100-5

Recently rated best by Motorcycle Consumer News ( no advertising) Other colors and styles available

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...de_helmet.html

Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Do yall think white helmets are cooler in the heat all day. I know they would be more visible to traffic without going to high vis stuff. All my past helmets have been black and I am thinking of gettin white.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:08 PM
SkurtBob92
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shoei qwest I have heard is a great helmet but it has been replaced by the rf-sr. I tried the rf-sr on and it was great. My buddy works at cycle gear and all of the guys that work there have one. I believe it'll be my next one. I currently have a white AGV k5 and in my experience it's not any cooler because I used to have a black helmet as well. It looks awesome but I don't think it'll help with the heat too much. Some cycle gears will let you ride for 30 days I think and test run the helmet to make sure is the correct fit. Could give you some confidence.

Last edited by SkurtBob92; 06-27-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted without finishing

Quick Reply: Best fullface helmet?