Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fullface helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I really like my simpson ghost bandit, it's the typical "bro" dyna helmet but it's super light, good viewing portal and extremely comfortable. When I first got it I had issues with wind noise but some strategically placed bits of tape has fixed it. Good range of visors which are pinlock compatible.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
I tried on a bunch of helmets today. This is the one that fit really good and came highly recommended. I didn't get it because I want a black no graphics version, plus it was pretty high dollar and I need to think about it. Also it fit as a medium and all my past helmets have been large.
Don't pay ANY attention to the size designation! I've literally found helmets labelled Small, Medium, and Large from different manufacturers that all fit me!

Reminds me of a joke I know... Did you hear about the psychic midget who escaped from prison? Small medium at large...

Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I can't see color having much effect on interior temp. Airflow thru the vents and liner will play a major role, tho.

I see the Quantum X has what they are calling a "city defog" lever. My Qwest has a similar feature and I use it a LOT. It's super quick to flip the lever when I need a bit more air in slow traffic. Of course, I can also open the visor notch by notch if I need even more air while at a stop. I didn't think that little lever (also acts as a visor lock) would be such a nice feature but now I can't remember how I managed without it!

Either way Arai is top shelf kit. If the fit and features work fpr you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Anyway, here is a review of the Quantum X from Web Bike World. I really like their helmet reviews...
https://www.webbikeworld.com/arai-quantum-x-review/

Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

For me, the best brand is Arai. I've owned a half dozen good Shoei's (great helmet), but the Arai is a step above. Never owned a Shubereth but I'd expect it to be every bit as good as an Arai, if not better. I've never owned a bell, but hear good things about them. My Arai's are easily more comfortable, quieter, and feels lighter than any of my Shoei's have. They cost a bit more, but the design is worth it. Handcrafted, Shoei is not if that sort of thing matters to you.

Saying this, I've had to replace things like vent controls/buttons on my Arai's, whereas the Shoei's have never had a problem. Arai feels better quality, but I think Shoei uses more durable plastics. Visor changes are easier on Shoei. Visors are also cheaper for Shoei. Tests I've seen an Arai will take much more of a beating than a Shoei if you go down hard. One helmet may be designed to sustain X amount of G force to save your noggin just to get the DOT/Snell stamp of approval. A quality helmet will hold together and keep you noodle leak free if you go down HARD with multiple hits.

Arai tailors their helmets to head shapes. Check out their website and go try one on. They rock!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
Thinking of switching back to a fullface. What do you think is the best fullface and why? Important to me would be obviously good protection, quite, all day comfort.
SHOEI.
Pick up up.
Put one on
You'll know what I’m talking about

Wiz

Old 06-29-2018, 03:39 PM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Shoei Parameter RF1200. Comes in a zillion different styles and colors and is damn comfy and solid, yet light.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
Coincidentally, today is my day off and I spent two hours in the Revzilla showroom trying on helmets. My last two helmets were the previous generation Bell Star Carbon, which I really loved. My last one was recently damaged in a track incident, so I'm helmet shopping. I don't think there is a single answer to your question. You really should find a dealer, or a place like Cycle Gear, or someplace that carries more than one brand where you can try stuff on. All of our heads are shaped differently, and the most important thing to make a helmet comfortable is to find one that matches your head shape. Every brand is shaped a little bit differently, and some offer different models aimed at different head shapes. In my case, the Bell Star line has been revamped since my last purchase, and they now feel totally different on my head. I tried on a whole bunch of brands, and each one really feels very different to wear. You really need to find a way to try stuff on. If you don't have a retailer close by, go to bunch of different bike dealers and see what they have. If you order something, make sure you choose a retailer with a really good return policy in case you end up with something that isn't completely comfortable.

Be careful about the opinion of others... Someone could give you a completely accurate review of a helmet they find super comfortable, and it may not fit your head shape at all.

https://fortnine.ca/en/how-to-fit-a-motorcycle-helmet/

this x10000000. not a clear answer to be had over the internet, depending on your head shape. but, BELL, shoei, arai and suomoy are all top-tier helmet brands.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

I run a Shoei X14. Long time Crotchrocket guy and always run top end Shoeis. Funny thing is, I think the aerodynamics are needed more on my bagger and dyna then my crotchrockets.

Personally top end Shoei X14 or Arai Signet X in standard colors are well worth it when u factor fit, ventilation, aerodynamics and protection. Over the years, Ive found the guys with squarish domes prefer Shoei. Rounder domes prefer Arais.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:03 AM
nhbubba
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also the higher end helmets almost always have nicer features and build. Little things like a removable liner that is made from quality materials that feel nice on the face. Removable so you can wash your head filth out every now and then. Comfortable so you don't grind sandpaper into your face for hour after hour.

If you only ever ride ~20 minutes at a time.. whatever.
If you ride a lot, consider investing in quality gear. You'll enjoy riding that much more.

The following users liked this post:
rideon (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 AM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Exactly. Why would you spend $20k on a toy them cheap out on gear to enjoy it less?

Quick Reply: Best fullface helmet?