Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water under fork boots? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Water under fork boots? WTF?

Have always put fork boots on my ride; like the looks and the protection...having said that, I changed springs and oil early this year and put on a new pair of eBay fork boots; they were 49mm tops and, I believe, 60mm bottoms so I removed dust covers and used flat zip ties on top, a touch of contact cement around lowers. They look kinda chintzy; the ribs are crooked, so today I cut them off to replace them with Speed Moto boots; resemble old British boots but are 50mm both ends. When I pulled the boots off the lower legs, a couple of tablespoons of water came out of each...I never pressure wash my bike; did ride some rain this summer, but have never seen water under fork boots before...any ideas??

Old 11-21-2018, 09:11 AM
The Gray Wolf
6th Gear
Location: North Texas in the winter, the Colorado high country in the summer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly why Jeeper's and serious off roaders don't use boots on shocks. Water, mud and other debris will get under the boots and wear/rust the shock shaft prematurely. IMHO, you don't need them, especially on a road bike.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Doesn't the boot have a tiny hole at the bottom? It should face aft.

IMHO, you don't need them, especially on a road bike.
I don't think it's that simple. I have a bike with 50k miles on it and the stanchion tubes are all pitted just above the sliders.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Water, the worlds most unstoppable force ... don't try to stop it, just give it a place to go ...
I don't put contact cement on either end and never zip tie the bottoms.
One zip on top of each boot and that's it.
If they're are long enough, even full extension won't pull them off the bottom.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:07 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Only thing I can think of is kind of what Robottom was talking about. By sealing the bottom, any water that might have gotten in...(water can and will get into anything) was trapped in there. There might have been a pin hole leak as well...who knows but I would do the same as what Robo did...leave the bottoms open...

Old 11-23-2018, 09:08 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Reading responses and thinking it over, of the times I've used fork boots, this is the first when I merely zip tied the tops...obviously not much of a seal. Next pair will again be glued and clamped on top. Will also make sure there's a drain hole on aft side and make them a friction fit on the bottom. Will machine down a pair of dust caps for bottom to slide over. Still much prefer the look and none of us can say looks mean absolutely nothing in our enjoyment of our bikes...

Old 11-23-2018, 10:32 AM
monckywrench
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The Gray Wolf
This is exactly why Jeeper's and serious off roaders don't use boots on shocks. Water, mud and other debris will get under the boots and wear/rust the shock shaft prematurely. IMHO, you don't need them, especially on a road bike.
This guy gets it. Boots look retro cool but (like any vessel including your petrol tank when it's not filled to capacity) they trap condensation. It's a case of what looks like it should work being worse than stock.

The swept area of the fork tube will be protected by a thin film of fork oil. The rest can be protected by the usual methods like car wax.

I was contemplating turning some boot adapters for a chopper project as I like the looks but if I do they'll have drain holes. If you enjoy machining you could incorporate the adapters into a custom fork brace. Ideally that brace would be split like the old chopper "tweek bars". You could "turn" the cylindrical boot adapter portion of the brace using a rotary table on a milling machine or clamp in a four-jaw lathe chuck. Splitting it like a tweek bar would make test fitting easy and convenient.

Whatever cap you turn, consider leaving a lip so you have more than friction retaining the boots. While stainless zip ties work nicely these classic BSA fork boot straps look even better up close and are easier to tighten. Example: https://www.classicbritishspares.com...6-t120-a50-a65

Old 11-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,033 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Reading responses and thinking it over, of the times I've used fork boots, this is the first when I merely zip tied the tops...obviously not much of a seal. Next pair will again be glued and clamped on top. Will also make sure there's a drain hole on aft side and make them a friction fit on the bottom. Will machine down a pair of dust caps for bottom to slide over. Still much prefer the look and none of us can say looks mean absolutely nothing in our enjoyment of our bikes...
All good and well - but you still need to allow for condensation (caused via temp variations)

Remove the damn things..., or be certain to create big enough drain holes - then ensure they don't get clogged

What price vanity

Ghost

Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13

What price vanity

Ghost
you guys crack me up. Like you never put on nice shoes or comb your hair.
I have big temp variations here. Never any condensation under my boots 🥾

Last edited by fxdlx; 11-23-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:00 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdlx
Never any condensation under my boots 🥾
Sometimes I get athlete's foot...
When I first got my T150V I asked this "Trident expert" why they didn't come with boots. His answer: "Americans like shiny things".

Seriously, though, my Legend has 50k miles on it and the stanchion tubes are pitted from sand and stones. Boots can prevent that, but a thin coat of fork oil won't. If the plating is in good shape. a little moisture shouldn't hurt, but if they're pitted, they'll rust even if there are no boots. After all, it's not like we're dragging the boots through the mud and rocks, so it's really not at all like offroad mudding.

JMO, YMMV...

Quick Reply: Water under fork boots? WTF?