Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, $280 for stator kit number 40356-06B, Chicago Harley has it for $221. And my warranty has expired.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Dan B
Cruiser
Default How many members in the club?

So, roughly, how many members can we be now in the "06 bad rotor design club"?

/Dan

Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM
mtatum
Stage III

Pulled the primary cover off tonight and just like ya'll are saying the 8 bolts holding the rotor in place were loose around the magnets and had torn up the stator windings and magnets. I also found the 4 screws holding the stator in place were loose. The welded rotor solves the problem but what about the stator screws? Maybe it was all the pounding from the other screws that came out that made them loosen. Has anyone had this problem from the four stator screws and not the 8 rotor screws?

06 Dyna bought new in October 05. 7700 miles.

Now that I'm into it this far what else should be replaced? I've heard something about the inner primary bearing.

Last edited by mtatum; 09-22-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: model information
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
HELDVR
Cruiser
Default Steering Head Washer Problem - Direct me there?

Originally Posted by YellowHawk
The internet has become a real PITA for dealerships, car dealerships, you name it. Before people didn't have access to this kind of information. I went into my dealer and asked about the steering head washer service bulletin and they told me they had never heard of it. Thanks to this forum I had the service bulletin number and told them to look it up. They found it and they did the work under warranty.

Hey YellowHawk,

Can you supply that service bulletin number for the steering head washer? I keep hearing a "thug" when I hit a good bump or hole (I live in New Orleans) so I checked the steering head for tightness. Seemed fine? Shocks may be bottoming out?

Any help would be appreciated?

Continueing to read about the sator issue.......

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
X90
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That said I will be tearing into the stator this winter and welding it up for piece of mind. /QUOTE]

Welding, there's an idea. Has anyone tried welding the screws?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
gilesgraphics
Intermediate
Angry

Real I glad I brought this up now.. just sorry I turned out to be right

Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtatum
Pulled the primary cover off tonight and just like ya'll are saying the 8 bolts holding the rotor in place were loose around the magnets and had torn up the stator windings and magnets. I also found the 4 screws holding the stator in place were loose. The welded rotor solves the problem but what about the stator screws? Maybe it was all the pounding from the other screws that came out that made them loosen. Has anyone had this problem from the four stator screws and not the 8 rotor screws?

06 Dyna bought new in October 05. 7700 miles.

Now that I'm into it this far what else should be replaced? I've heard something about the inner primary bearing.
Yes, definately check the inner primary bearing while it's down. Might be worth replacing anyway, they are cheap enough. You will need an extractor to get the inner race off the mainshaft though.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:32 PM
scotsport
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Edinburgh

Maybe this shoud be in the 'best delaer' thread, but my 07 Bob was in for some warranty work today. No issues with the stator (welded) but since they were into the primary, I asked for a check of the IPB. Inner race replaced without fuss. Signs or wear, nothing catastrophic, but wear nonetheless - they changed it anyway.

Oilslick - it had dowels between the the IP case and tranny ( I remember your previous interest in this).

I love my bike and love the service that I have recieved from my dealer.

Everything is fixable, so hang in there friends, it's only a machine.........

Oh, and I can reccommend Edinburgh Harley Davidson without reservation, my UK chums.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
oakies
Advanced

Happende to me today on my 06 DWG..at 12,600 miles GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 09-28-2008, 01:33 PM
oakies
Advanced
Default free alternator repair

12600 miles on my 06 DWG and the alternator was ripped apart by loose screws. 2 months out of warranty, and my dealer (Buffalo Harley) repaired it and turned the repair bill into Harley even though it was out of warrannty. Harley agreed to cover the complete repair expense except for a $100 deductable that I had to pay. I can live with that.

Quick Reply: Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas