Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
loloman747
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stator rotor broken

Hello ,i am an affected spanish¿harley repair some mtorbike in EEUU out of garantia?¿call to revision to the models affected ?dinas 2006 motor tc88.
thank you .
Harley DEFENDEIS COMO NIÑOS LO QUE NO SABEIS FABRICAR COMO HOMBRES...

Last edited by loloman747; 08-27-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Kirbinator56
Stage I
Default New Member to Stater Club

At just shy of 20.000 I started hearing bolts banging around.Is the Dyna the only model that has had this problem ?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Default does the 2007 model rotor work in a 2006 dyna?

Originally Posted by txtec
the 07s got the welded rotor,thats what the dealer used in my 06.
Txtec:
How is that rotor working out?
I'm trying to find replacement parts online. The only part(s) that I have found specifically listed for the 2006 dyna is the OEM# 40356-06B "stator & rotor kit." I can find the stator (30017-01) listed separately, but nothing that lists a rotor replacement specifically for the 2006 dyna. I just got back from the local dealer and he said the 40356-06B "stator & rotor kit" (2006 dyna) uses the rotor listed for the 2007 bikes (40356-07). My concern is the 2007 charging system is 40 Amps and the 2006 is 38 Amps. Am I safe in assuming that there is no difference between the rotors used for the 38 and 40 Amp systems?
Thanks for any help.
QehQeh

Old 10-30-2009, 06:37 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

You would have to physically see the two rotors side by side, basically there is no difference except the old rotor has few magnets but they are bigger, the newer rotor has more magnets but they are smaller, same principle with the stator newer one has smaller winding coils and older one bigger windings, overall size is the same. Spring assy welded on new p/n, as opposed to the 8 bolts holding on old assy. Slides right on just like old one did. I've been running mine for about 2 months now, not a lick of trouble. I pulled out my old one in perfectly good shape but had the bolts tack welded from a buddy of mine, so I got a nice spare down the road or a nice paper weight.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Default 06 stator and rotor

Originally Posted by cactusred
You would have to physically see the two rotors side by side, basically there is no difference except the old rotor has few magnets but they are bigger, the newer rotor has more magnets but they are smaller, same principle with the stator newer one has smaller winding coils and older one bigger windings, overall size is the same. Spring assy welded on new p/n, as opposed to the 8 bolts holding on old assy. Slides right on just like old one did. I've been running mine for about 2 months now, not a lick of trouble. I pulled out my old one in perfectly good shape but had the bolts tack welded from a buddy of mine, so I got a nice spare down the road or a nice paper weight.
Cactusred:
Did you change out the old rotor AND the old stator with the new parts? The service manager at the dealer just called me and said that one of the techs remembers installing the new (welded spring assymbly) rotor on a 2006 dyna and left the OLD stator on. He said they got the bike back a week later with charging problems. He SAYS that the magnets in the NEW rotor don't work with the coils in the OLD stator and the assymbly was not putting out enough juice. I think he said the magnets in the new rotor are a different size and they don't spin close enough to the coils in the OLD stator to put out enough juice.
Do I trust the dealer on this one?
QehQeh

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
TMace
Cruiser

I had my Rotor/Stator self destruct several months and about 5000 miles ago, give or take some. Went to the stealer they wanted somewhere around $310 - $340 or so for the kit. Ran the part# through Zanottis online and ordered it from them. They didn't have it in stock but UPS showed up with it 6 days later, cost...around $210 delivered!
Kit includes everything ya need, new rotor with compensator welded to it, stator, and new staors bolts. I was careful when I pulled mine apart and didn't damage any gaskets or seals so I reused them all. No leaks so far. The job was so easy I figured that if it leaked I'd just pull it apart and replace the gaskets and seals. FYI you "DO" need to remove the inner primary case to install the new rotor, so be care full when taking apart/putting back together. You need to put tape around the splines on the trans/clutch shaft to not damage the inner primary shaft seal. Masking or duck tape will work fine.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You don't need to remove the inner primary. Mud has a post with pics showing how you can use a dremel to fit a bigger SE comp without removing the inner primary case.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 AM
cactusred
Road Master

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Cactusred:
Did you change out the old rotor AND the old stator with the new parts? The service manager at the dealer just called me and said that one of the techs remembers installing the new (welded spring assymbly) rotor on a 2006 dyna and left the OLD stator on. He said they got the bike back a week later with charging problems. He SAYS that the magnets in the NEW rotor don't work with the coils in the OLD stator and the assymbly was not putting out enough juice. I think he said the magnets in the new rotor are a different size and they don't spin close enough to the coils in the OLD stator to put out enough juice.
Do I trust the dealer on this one?
QehQeh
Yes, I did change out the old rotor and the old stator as a pair. I bought the upgrade kit from HD which included the new welded rotor with a new stator plus new mounting bolts not the 8 bolts for the spring assy but to install the rotor to the engine. Your conversation with the dealer sounds just like I was telling you and what I remember on mine, the magnets and stator wires are differen size on the new vs old ones so I did not want to mix match them up with old/new, I am running new/new and like I mentioned before also, I just had my old rotor tac welded the 8 bolts so I plopped it in with the old stator (5000 miles if you call that old, looked pretty darn new to me). Personally I'd change the both of em, and not mix match em.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 AM
cactusred
Road Master

Originally Posted by TMace
I had my Rotor/Stator self destruct several months and about 5000 miles ago, give or take some. Went to the stealer they wanted somewhere around $310 - $340 or so for the kit. Ran the part# through Zanottis online and ordered it from them. They didn't have it in stock but UPS showed up with it 6 days later, cost...around $210 delivered!
Kit includes everything ya need, new rotor with compensator welded to it, stator, and new staors bolts. I was careful when I pulled mine apart and didn't damage any gaskets or seals so I reused them all. No leaks so far. The job was so easy I figured that if it leaked I'd just pull it apart and replace the gaskets and seals. FYI you "DO" need to remove the inner primary case to install the new rotor, so be care full when taking apart/putting back together. You need to put tape around the splines on the trans/clutch shaft to not damage the inner primary shaft seal. Masking or duck tape will work fine.
I have heard of some of the guys doing this as well so you could probably save a few bucks going this route ie zonottis,dennis kirk or something like that. I think I paid 260 from HD.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Exclamation Stator

I'm ordering the kit this week for a winter project i'm not taking any chances !

Quick Reply: Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas