Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on stator wiring routing

Hi All:
I received my stator/rotor kit from Zonotti's, great price! The wires on the stator (the new one and the old original one) are not colored-coded or otherwise marked. Can I assume that the new stator is wired the same as the old one? IOW, can I just note where the old wires go into the connector (1,2,3) and route the wires from the new stator the same?
Thanks much,
QehQeh

Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,833 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Hi All:
I received my stator/rotor kit from Zonotti's, great price! The wires on the stator (the new one and the old original one) are not colored-coded or otherwise marked. Can I assume that the new stator is wired the same as the old one? IOW, can I just note where the old wires go into the connector (1,2,3) and route the wires from the new stator the same?
Thanks much,
QehQeh
QQ, that's exactly what I always do.

I don't think it matters where those three go.

DoubleCheck me.

Last edited by mud; 11-18-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Default stator wiring

Thanks Mud for the advice.

Now, can somebody esplain-it-to-me why it doesn't make any difference how the wires are connected? I just don't know much about this 3-phase current thing. How does the current flow from the stator coils through the THREE wires to the regulator?

Thanks much,
QehQeh

Old 11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,833 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
Thanks Mud for the advice.

Now, can somebody esplain-it-to-me why it doesn't make any difference how the wires are connected? I just don't know much about this 3-phase current thing.

How does the current flow from the stator coils through the THREE wires to the regulator?

Thanks much,
QehQeh
I'm not much of a Scientist.. butt,

I would *guess* that is a very simple concept (probably from a 100 years ago or more)....

..."How does the current flow"?? (through the wires)...

It has to go somewhere (so, it goes through the wires).

As to how the three wires are connected.....

Each of the three black wires connects to TWO heavy bare copper wires
which then proceed to wrap like a mortarforker around and around the 18 towers..

Hell I don't know... It's probably in the Electrical Diagnostics Manual.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:03 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Hi All:
Please read my post in the “New Information Dyna Inner Primary Bearingthread, as it also has important info regarding the stator/rotor issues.
Thanks much,
QehQeh

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
22B
Cruiser

2006 FXDB stuffed at 24,000 km, what a noise, thought my new rings where nipping up, anyway nearly a year out of warranty, and Harley are going to repair under a warranty claim, fantastic service down here in New Zealand. replaced with the 07 stator,etc.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Livnoutdoorsxd9
Cruiser
Default Replace rotor anyways?

Hey guys, Ive got an 06 street bob with 13,500 miles on it. I was just putting forward controls on it when i noticed that the IPB and race were shot. I started doing some research on here and found this to be a very common problem. In researching into the IPB, I found all of this about the stator/rotor. Since i already had it tore down, i pulled the rotor off and saw that i have the 8 bolt style. all screws are tight and attached. Do you recommend switching out the rotor anyways, tack welding the bolts, replacing both the rotor and the stator? Thanks for the info.

-Livn

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 PM
TMace
Cruiser

I would check the torque and then tack weld each one!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TMace
I would check the torque and then tack weld each one!
Either way is good, torque and then tack weld each bolt or replace the rotor and stator but don't just close it back up with it like it is.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cactusred
Either way is good, torque and then tack weld each bolt or replace the rotor and stator but don't just close it back up with it like it is.
Ditto on that.
Also, from what I've been told, if you replace the rotor, you MUST replace the stator also. Supposedly the new rotor will not work properly with the old stator - something to do with the strength or placement of the magnets in the new rotor not matching with the windings in the old style stator. Don't know if it's just BS but....

Quick Reply: Stator self destruct 06/07 Dynas