Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 AM
dysfunction1
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BTT

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
^^^ Neat kit but that is for the HD serial data tach, not a universal analog tach.

spot on. after scouring over the schematics I ended up tying the 2 signal wires at the coil together and sure enough it worked. With one siginal wire tach 1/2 what it needed to be. It seem i wouuld seem i turned the igntion into dual fire (or single). it seems everyone has a different definition. Wether its wasted spark or not etc etc. Guessing coil dwell time isnt impacted as 1 and 2 are now fireing at exactly opposite of each other. Someone please correct me if im wrong w/ reference material if possible.

for siginal : tied grey/blue And blue/red At back of coil together and ran to Tach Green wire

for 12v switched: i tied tach red and tach yellow toghter then tapped into the red/black wire at the ign switch. Got swiched 12v for lights and tach power

Ran the bike at idle. 1100 RPMS. Ran to rev limiter approx 5k-5.2k.

Ground- pretty much any where there is a non painted screw. Meter it first.

Thats pretty much it. The unicorn of that tach harness is NOT there. As mentioned

Thoughts

Last edited by dysfunction1; 06-05-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 PM
dysfunction1
Advanced

oh... and the bike is a 2011 superglide custom

Old 06-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by dysfunction1
BTT

spot on. after scouring over the schematics I ended up tying the 2 signal wires at the coil together and sure enough it worked. With one siginal wire tach 1/2 what it needed to be. It seem i wouuld seem i turned the igntion into dual fire (or single). it seems everyone has a different definition. Wether its wasted spark or not etc etc. Guessing coil dwell time isnt impacted as 1 and 2 are now fireing at exactly opposite of each other. Someone please correct me if im wrong w/ reference material if possible.

for siginal : tied grey/blue And blue/red At back of coil together and ran to Tach Green wire

for 12v switched: i tied tach red and tach yellow toghter then tapped into the red/black wire at the ign switch. Got swiched 12v for lights and tach power

Ran the bike at idle. 1100 RPMS. Ran to rev limiter approx 5k-5.2k.

Ground- pretty much any where there is a non painted screw. Meter it first.

Thats pretty much it. The unicorn of that tach harness is NOT there. As mentioned

Thoughts
You probably want to put a diode between each lead and where you tied them together.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-harleys.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...er-signal.html

I may have already posted these links to old posts of mine. Not sure it helps here but it may help someone else down the road.

By the way, my FXDC Speedhut tach set-up is still going strong.

Last edited by leafman60; 06-06-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

I gotta think there's a good reason why there are two wires in the first place. I don't think I would have the guts to just tie them together, and I taught aircraft electrical courses up until retirement. But, then, it ain't an aircraft...

Isn't there a way to tell the tach it's a single cylinder?

Last edited by John CC; 06-06-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by John CC
I gotta think there's a good reason why there are two wires in the first place. I don't think I would have the guts to just tie them together, and I taught aircraft electrical courses up until retirement. But, then, it ain't an aircraft...

Isn't there a way to tell the tach it's a single cylinder?
If the tach is a programmable one, you generally will set the firing order to .5 for a single cylinder. It fires once every 2 revolutions. 1/2 - .5 Got it?? lol

Old 06-06-2019, 01:41 PM
dysfunction1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
You probably want to put a diode between each lead and where you tied them together.

Help me on this. What would two diodes in line do for me/bike. Wishing tach saw 2 sinals but tach only read each once

Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Help me on this. What would two diodes in line do for me/bike. Wishing tach saw 2 sinals but tach only read each once
They would prevent the signals from being seen on the opposing senders. Anodes toward the coil and cathodes on the line going to the tach. The tach will still see only one signal but it isn't a good idea to push an output to another output by tying them directly together.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:39 PM
dysfunction1
Advanced
Default Diodes

Ok perfect. So I currently am running 2 individual wires under tank up under console to terminate. What dieods 1 or 2 diodes to each signal wire before I tie both to green tach wire?

What exactly would? Prevent othe signal wire from seeing each other? There fore is back to OEM single fire?

Thanks for help know minimal electric

Old 06-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Ok perfect. So I currently am running 2 individual wires under tank up under console to terminate. What dieods 1 or 2 diodes to each signal wire before I tie both to green tach wire?

What exactly would? Prevent othe signal wire from seeing each other? There fore is back to OEM single fire?

Thanks for help know minimal electric
Yes, this would put you back to a single fire system. While the wasted spark itself isn't bad, it does cause a burn that can cause popping in your exhaust due to the spark burning off all excess fumes instead of allowing them to be pushed out the exhaust. Basically decel popping that you wouldn't be able to do anything about.
Here is a diode that should work for you. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...JnSZSuW1xB0%3D
Solder a diode lead that is opposite the eyelets (opposite the stripe on the black body) one to each lead from the coil and heat shrink up to the eyelets. Solder the eyelets together and solder to the wire or post on the tach.

Quick Reply: Tachometer Wiring Question