Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air or gel seat pads or modify seat to put air or gel pad in it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Bigbad, thanks for the helpful info.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
NORTY FLATZ, does it hold itself to the seat with straps or do you have to worry about it blowing away when you get off?
2 straps that buckle underneath. You may want to experiment with a pneumatic pad to get used to it. They work best when "half full."
Also, they firm up as you go up in altitude. You may want to bleed some off as the pad will get harder if you cruise the peaks of Colorado!
Then when you get down to sea level, you'll want to add a breath of air.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 05-31-2019 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

For used Harley stuff, the instagram handle @fxr_n_dyna_parts_trader is great for buying and selling.

For super long days, I'll throw the hideous Sundowner on. Otherwise its various slimmer two up or solo seats.

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (05-31-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Sandcrab, you mean you will use both at the same time, right?
Sorry I have not been watching the store. I would only use one or the other. If I had both, I would use one for a long day ride and then switch and do the sheep skin. I think using both would raise you up too high.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I think I'm going to try the Harley Tallboy seat. I don't much like having a separate part to solve the problem, one more thing to grow legs unless I take it off everywhere I stop and unlock the saddlebag and put it in and relock along with all the other unavoidable rituals at every stop. I checked into modifying my Mustang seat but they can't do what would be necessary because of the back rest which I suspected would be the case. So if I get the Tallboy for less than half what I paid for the Mustang and it still isn't quite right, I can have it modified but I sure hope I don't regret losing the back rest. At age 58 with accumulated injuries and aches and pains, I've found it nice to have.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Any pad you put on top of the seat will wreck your aerodynamics with a windshield, pushing you up higher, causing wind that would normally go over your head to smack you in the forehead instead. It may make sitting easier, but it will make the overall ride worse. Putting anything just under the cover of your seat will still push you up higher, unless you cut out some of the foam from the seat to offset the additional material. You could go the latter route, and cut some out and add a pad inside, but you might be better off just buying another seat that made better in the first place. I had a Mustang that was perfect, in that it gave me better lower back support, and just about the time I'm starting to get "tired" was the same time I needed to get fuel and stretch.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

I have Mustang seats I paid over $800 for last year of which $560 was for the Wide Touring Solo including backrest, the rest of the cost for the passenger seat. I keep trying to push back a couple inches when my *** and back start to hurt. I push up off the seat too to ease the pain while I'm riding even if I'm going with the flow on the interstate. I talked to Mustang and they said they have nothing more comfortable for my 2009 Low Rider, nothing that lets you sit further back, nothing with more padding. As for the wind, I get hit in the head anyway by the wind over the windshield, a little when sitting down in the seat completely and more when I try to push back and/or up. I'm 6 feet tall so maybe my Harley-made windshield is too short. Or maybe I sit up too straight and need to slouch more but that solution gets a worse back as I get older which at 59 years old I'm doing fast enough. In a couple years I'm going to get a bigger bike with the longer frame and I'm sure then I'll get everything to fit right. Just don't have the money now and need to make what I've got as pain-free as possible. I'll probably try the Harley Tallboy which Mean City Cycles says they can modify if that doesn't do the trick. They can't modify my Mustang seat because of the backrest.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:10 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 2007 Dyna and I like sitting up and would like to push back in the seat every now again.
Sorry to hear the Mustang didn’t work for you; I have not liked their touring bike seats.

My bike came with a Tallboy seat and I was not too impressed. Great idea just more of the HD not good for me riding position. After looking at other seats for a while I decided to modify the Tallboy seat by trimming the foam to my liking.
Recently I have been talking with Mean City Cycles about installing their foam (per my shape) and then recovering the seat.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
https://www.meancitycycles.com/

These guys have a good reputation and can help you make a decision ... I have no preference but have read much regarding gel seats and their adverse reactions to hot and cold temperatures