Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM
chop13
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wide Glide Front End

Hey fellas, good to be a part of the community here. Long time lurker and figured it was time to join the ranks!

Im in the DC Metro area and if there's anything I can do to help, whether it be bike or beer related, just let me know.

Now, time for my question/project:

I picked up a 17 wide glide with crazy low miles about a month back and grabbed it since a wide glide has been on my radar for years.
The test ride was pretty basic and I was blinded by how F* sexy she is, but as I continue to ride the bike I have noticed that its handling "characteristics" are odd to say the least as I'm sure you are all aware of.

I was thinking about going the fat bob triple tree route and was hoping that someone who has experience with the mod or a good understanding of it would chime in.
I understand that the fat bob trees are 0 rake and am concerned that leaving the stock wide glide forks on will raise the front end too much.

Would it be best to use fat bob forks as well?
How will this effect the ride height and the rear end positioning?
Also, what components should I go ahead and pick up to make sure all is well?
Would it be beneficial to also relocate the controls to the mid-position?

I want slightly quicker handling, better low-speed maneuverability for city traffic and a more solid front end when blasting down the highway (particularly rut and tar snake infested roads here in the area).

Thanks guys!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm going on a 2-3 day road trip in the morning so I'll keep this brief, I have done this mod and returned back to stock WG. It offered everything you mentioned ( stability, quicker handling, solid feeling) I went back to WG because I didn't like the looks.
If you can wait a few days and think about what you're going to do, I can help. I have FB tree and tubes with Progressive springs and WG lowers on them that are available.
You might also explore putting a wider rim on your WG and running a wider 21" tire. I run a 120 and stability has improved dramatically.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 PM
chop13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joe40x
I'm going on a 2-3 day road trip in the morning so I'll keep this brief, I have done this mod and returned back to stock WG. It offered everything you mentioned ( stability, quicker handling, solid feeling) I went back to WG because I didn't like the looks.
If you can wait a few days and think about what you're going to do, I can help. I have FB tree and tubes with Progressive springs and WG lowers on them that are available.
You might also explore putting a wider rim on your WG and running a wider 21" tire. I run a 120 and stability has improved dramatically.
That would be great man, when you get back I would like to chat a little more with you. Definitely interested in the parts you have on hand. I’ll think it over a bit more while you’re away as well.

Thanks buddy!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by joe40x
The 3.25" x 21" with 120 front tire is one of the best mods I've done.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM
chop13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
The 3.25" x 21" with 120 front tire is one of the best mods I've done.
Thanks for the input man! I have been considering going this route as well, even if I keep the front end swap off until winter.

which wheel did you end up going with? Did you relace the hub or is there a direct swap out there?

thanks again.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chop13
Thanks for the input man! I have been considering going this route as well, even if I keep the front end swap off until winter.

which wheel did you end up going with? Did you relace the hub or is there a direct swap out there?

thanks again.
Here's a complete writeup for an economical way. Just beware the chrome plating is cheap! but great if you powdercoat.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-spokes-3.html

Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
chop13
Intermediate

Here's a complete writeup for an economical way. Just beware the chrome plating is cheap! but great if you powdercoat.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-spokes-3.html
Now that's a pretty nice option. I may go ahead and PC one and give it a shot at lacing the wheel. Never did a lace job as it seemed way too complicated. Can I relace the hub and have a dealer true and balance it (no real indy shops near me).

I still like the street/fat bob front end option, but will do this regardless as either way it is beneficial.

Thanks for the info my man!

Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chop13
Now that's a pretty nice option. I may go ahead and PC one and give it a shot at lacing the wheel. Never did a lace job as it seemed way too complicated. Can I relace the hub and have a dealer true and balance it (no real indy shops near me).

I still like the street/fat bob front end option, but will do this regardless as either way it is beneficial.

Thanks for the info my man!
Your Welcome. Yes lace yourself and take to dirt bike shop....they lace all the time and charge much less to center and true....Heck you might even find a bicycle shop that would take it on. Make sure you measure your rim offset before removing spokes.

Most dealers just sub it out and charge too much...they don't have the volume or staff to make it profitable.

My wife completely disassembled my wheels and polished the spokes. I made my own stand / laced and trued / mounted my own tires / made my own wheel weights and balanced

This is the rear 200mm.

Last edited by Blue Bob; 06-12-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Albert Hoffman
Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 PM
chop13
Intermediate

Your Welcome. Yes lace yourself and take to dirt bike shop....they lace all the time and charge much less to center and true....Heck you might even find a bicycle shop that would take it on. Make sure you measure your rim offset before removing spokes.

Most dealers just sub it out and charge too much...they don't have the volume or staff to make it profitable.

My wife completely disassembled my wheels and polished the spokes. I made my own stand / laced and trued / mounted my own tires / made my own wheel weights and balanced

This is the rear 200mm.
Great to know man, good stuff here!

Rim offset? Best way to measure?

now, how did you go about making a 200mm work on the rear!?

Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

made my own wheel weights.
Martha Stewart would be proud...

The following users liked this post:
archergodwin (06-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Front End