Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 hole oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:35 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
I was actually wondering if the service manual and the owners manual had differences in information when it comes to fluid amount. And for any other information.

But i did not drain the oil in all three holes propped straight up. I drained them all on the sidestand leaning regular. I did a 15 minute ride to get it nice and warmed up. I drained the 3 holes immediatley after. Didnt waste time to get the oil out. I only propped it up to add the primary fluid to get an accurate reading according to the manual. I do have the low profile oil drain pan from Harley. It is an awesome item to have. Makes changing the oil easier
For a 17 dyna street bob? Im almost certain the owners manual says to have the bike upright when adding fluids to the primary. I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm this? The only reason why i propped the bike upright was just to fill the primary with oil. The rest was done on the side stand leaning regular.
While I can't speak for your specific model, it was different for one of mine. Yes, bike needs to be level when added fluid to primary. Also, 15 minutes is not long enough to get the bike nice and hot before draining, 30 should suffice.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I change all my bikes/trikes on the lift with front wheel in a chock.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Yup, I do mine standing up on my table lift, the Harley dealer and local Indy shop does as well. The trick is to run the bike with the filter off for a bit till you see clean oil coming out...it used to be called a 5 quart change (old shovel head days).

Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
The trick is to run the bike with the filter off for a bit...

Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Im almost certain the owners manual says to have the bike upright when adding fluids to the primary. I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm this?
Mine (2007) says the same thing. I think the point is the oil will not be as likely to spill out through the clutch cover if the bike is upright. OTOH, the drains for the transmission and oil sump (as well as the dip sticks) appear to be engineered to work best when the bike is on the side stand.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Maybe I missed it in the manual, but are you supposed to do the oil change while on the kickstand? I just did my own 3 hole change last month but while my front tire was in a chock holding it straight up. Now you are making me think I didnt get everything out of my oil pan.
Honestly it's been awhile since I looked at the manual, I just know I did it on the side stand and then added something like 3 quarts to get it full. Next time I did it straight up on my lift, added my 3 quarts and checked it only to see I was at least a half quart over. In my eyes that means I am getting more out of the pan with the bike on the side stand vs standing upright, looking at where the drain plug is that makes sense since the plus is on the left side of the pan.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:22 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by shodown220
straight up on my lift, added my 3 quarts and checked it only to see I was at least a half quart over.
Was it still straight up when you checked it? If so, maybe that makes sense. If not, I think you're on to something.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

I've used a jack for oil changes, but since I purchased a Wheeldock chock I'll try that in the future. Nice feature with the Wheeldock is the front wheel stays at floor level and the wheel is locked in.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by John CC
Was it still straight up when you checked it? If so, maybe that makes sense. If not, I think you're on to something.
No, I added the oil then rode the bike a short distance to get it circulating and warmed up and then checked level and saw it was over.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team

So, that would certainly support the idea that it doesn't drain completely when level.

Quick Reply: 3 hole oil change