Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 hole oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 AM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 3 hole oil change

So i finally changed the fluids in all 3 holes. Just sharing my experience. Last time i change my engine oil i had overfilled it and had to syphone some out. I had put 2.5 quarts. This time i only put 2 quarts and it was right on the money.

Now the transmission calls for 28 fl oz. It was pretty close to that. Almost overfilled that. Seems to be at the full mark. But its also hard to read the dipstick w the fluid being to clear and all. What would happen is the trans was overfilled anyways?

The primary calls for 34 fl oz. I had a quart of primary red line, which is 32 fl oz. And i still have a little left in the bottle. So 34 would be overkill. Now what i did the primary i propped the bike up straight with wood under the kickstand. While threading the torx screws in by hand and gentle as ever the bike decided to fall over the opposite side!! I grabed the bike where the seat would be, because i took it off. Didnt help much. But luckly the dog house was on the other side and it leaned up against it as i ran to the other side to put her back up.

Long story short i lear that it was pretty sketchy. Im going to have to invest in a jack if im going to continue to do my own work! Whew!

2017 dyna street bob. Mobile 1 in my engine. Red line transmission for my trans. Red line primary in my primary.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
Now the transmission calls for 28 fl oz. It was pretty close to that. Almost overfilled that. Seems to be at the full mark. But its also hard to read the dipstick w the fluid being to clear and all. What would happen is the trans was overfilled anyways?
Fluid could be forced out through the trans vent and/or main seal getting it all over things it should get on and possibly cause a permanent seal leak. That would be no bueno.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Do these bikes take different amounts of primary and trans fluids? I'm pretty sure mine calls for a quart in each. Makes it easy...

Originally Posted by Gil Aguilar
But luckly the dog house was on the other side and it leaned up against it as i ran to the other side to put her back up.
I had something similar happen years back. It landed up against a support post in a post and beam barn. I think I cried...

Last edited by John CC; 06-13-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Im sure they do take different amounts of fluids. Also depending on your model. But I've learned the recommended amount in the manual isnt always the amount you need.

But in the case of the transmission. It looks like i filled just at the full mark. So i hope thats ok. It really is hard to read the amount on the dipstick. Even if the redline transmission fluid is pink. Ill have to check it at a latter date. Maybe itll get darker to see it better.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:36 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

In my experiences with different HD models, I've found that sticking with what the service manual says and not the owners manual, has been on the money every time.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

I've found doing my fluid changes (especially oil) with the bike straight up on my lift, it doesn't take as much oil to fill it back up, meaning it's not getting as much out vs draining on the side stand. 2 quarts is really low to get to full, you didn't get all of it out of the pan with the bike straight up like that. There is plenty of room under the bike to do it on the side stand unless your bike is lowered. I use the harley drain pain it fits nice under the bike. Bonus it prevents the bike from tipping over like yours did. Just a bit of help for your next service.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:16 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

First post 'Gil' you do know that you are supposed to have the bike on the 'jiffy stand' to do the Primary don't you ?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
In my experiences with different HD models, I've found that sticking with what the service manual says and not the owners manual, has been on the money every time.
I was actually wondering if the service manual and the owners manual had differences in information when it comes to fluid amount. And for any other information.

But i did not drain the oil in all three holes propped straight up. I drained them all on the sidestand leaning regular. I did a 15 minute ride to get it nice and warmed up. I drained the 3 holes immediatley after. Didnt waste time to get the oil out. I only propped it up to add the primary fluid to get an accurate reading according to the manual. I do have the low profile oil drain pan from Harley. It is an awesome item to have. Makes changing the oil easier

Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shodown220
I've found doing my fluid changes (especially oil) with the bike straight up on my lift, it doesn't take as much oil to fill it back up, meaning it's not getting as much out vs draining on the side stand. 2 quarts is really low to get to full, you didn't get all of it out of the pan with the bike straight up like that. There is plenty of room under the bike to do it on the side stand unless your bike is lowered. I use the harley drain pain it fits nice under the bike. Bonus it prevents the bike from tipping over like yours did. Just a bit of help for your next service.
Maybe I missed it in the manual, but are you supposed to do the oil change while on the kickstand? I just did my own 3 hole change last month but while my front tire was in a chock holding it straight up. Now you are making me think I didnt get everything out of my oil pan.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beanoboy
First post 'Gil' you do know that you are supposed to have the bike on the 'jiffy stand' to do the Primary don't you ?
For a 17 dyna street bob? Im almost certain the owners manual says to have the bike upright when adding fluids to the primary. I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm this? The only reason why i propped the bike upright was just to fill the primary with oil. The rest was done on the side stand leaning regular.

Quick Reply: 3 hole oil change