Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change for 07 Street Bob......Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First oil change for 07 Street Bob......Questions!

Some will say that they are not needed but I strongly encourage you to get yourself a couple of quality torque wrenches. One in inch/pounds and one in foot/pounds.

Do your own servicing. If you don't already have a service manual, get one, it is worth it's weight in gold.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rstick

I have a question that relates to this. If I change to synthetic at 1000 miles, do I need to change the fluids again soon due to left over HD fluids or is there just a minimal amount that doesn't drain so it doesn't matter? I have ordered a manual but it hasn't arrived yet and I don't know if it will address this or not.
dont worry bout the little bit that might be left over.I have just made the switch to synthetic 15w50 maybe 1k ago after 25k miles.plan on changing it now every 2700 to 3k miles I do

Old 07-29-2007, 02:11 AM
kerberos
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need the HD oil filter tool.. I removed mine using a strap type filter tool. Same one I use to change the oil in my truck. I had to take the shift linkage apart so that the filter would come all the way out. (WG with forward controls)

Lotta guys say to get the filter that has the nut on the end, with the strap filter tool you don't need that I don't think.

wt.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Strange Trip
Intermediate

HD does charge out the butt for this stuff, so if you have the time and patience, do it yourself and learn your bike. Good luck

Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 AM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to change the oil for the first time on my '07 FXD. This won't be the first time I've done it on a motorcycle, but it is the first time on this motorcycle.

I have the service manual, and the tools.

I have just one question: neither the owner's manual, nor the shop manual mentions whether or not the bike should be level, or on the side stand when I drain the oil...

I'm assuming it should be on the side stand, for two reasons: the location of the drain plug, and the fact that you check the level when the bike is on the side stand.

Can anyone clarify this?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: risdo

I'm about to change the oil for the first time on my '07 FXD. This won't be the first time I've done it on a motorcycle, but it is the first time on this motorcycle.

I have just one question: neither the owner's manual, nor the shop manual mentions whether or not the bike should be level, or on the side stand when I drain the oil...

I'm assuming it should be on the side stand, for two reasons: the location of the drain plug, and the fact that you check the level when the bike is on the side stand.

Can anyone clarify this?
On the stand.

I've got an 07 FXDB. I'm pretty sure my owners manual and my service manual include this bit of information.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
AHVeil
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: turbochad

I have finally put a little less than 1,000 miles on my 07 Street Bob so I called the local HD shop in town to schedule the 1st service. I remember when I bought the bike how big of a deal they made about the 1st service. Anyway, I call and they tell me it is going to be around $300.00 for the service! What the hell are they going to do that is worth 300? I was just wondering if this is actually a basic oil change and I should do it myself, or if they change other fluids at this time and make other adjustments. Any help would be great as I cant ride the bike until I get this taken care of, thanks!
You can, in fact, ride your bike while waiting to do the servie. To go slightly over the 1K mile threshold is not going to void your warranty. Just don't roll it in for the 1K at 2500K or 5K.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: risdo

Can anyone clarify this?
I put a 1x6 block of wood under the jiffy......works fine. When I do the trans I remove the drain bolt with the catch pan underneath then sit on the bike and lean sideways back and forth a couple of times and it gets all the oil out.