Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straight Shots aren’t loud enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 09:01 AM
JPR778
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Straight Shots aren’t loud enough

I’ve been riding my 2005 dyna super glide for a couple of months now, and for some reason I feel like my straight shots aren’t loud enough for me. Don’t want to completely remove the baffles, anyone ever go with the BCT Monster baffles? Have read some mixed things about them.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:18 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,321 Likes on 5,680 Posts

Can you pull the baffle out and cut it down some? A lot of pipes have a long baffle in them and you can cut them off with a saw and stick them back in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
JPR778 (06-11-2021), touchdown (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:45 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 972 Likes on 735 Posts

At one point I had V&H slipons. The sound was loud but kind of high-pitched, tinny and just awful. I tried a bunch of things, including the BCT's. That was better, but still not happy with the overall result, especially considering how much the BCTs cost. Finally realized that V&H were not what they were cracked up to be and sold them.
Then I was able to get some Screamin Eagle II's. They were much better with the BCTs but for the hell of it I tried a pair of DK Customs thunder torque inserts. Cost way less than the BCTs, but sounded so much better. And the bike seemed to have better low end power. That's what I've been running for years now.
You can try cutting down the baffles like Bubba suggested, but think about those TTI's. I think you'll get a much better sound.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevil:
byersmtrco (06-14-2021), JPR778 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 08:58 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 832 Posts

I have a set of V&H Straight Shots on my bike right now, and if I could find a set of SEII slip ons I'd throw the Straight Shots in the trash! Worse sounding slip ons I've ever owned. They sound loud, tinny, and pop and backfire constantly when shifting....IMHO, they suck.

The following users liked this post:
JPR778 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:08 PM
JPR778
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
At one point I had V&H slipons. The sound was loud but kind of high-pitched, tinny and just awful. I tried a bunch of things, including the BCT's. That was better, but still not happy with the overall result, especially considering how much the BCTs cost. Finally realized that V&H were not what they were cracked up to be and sold them.
Then I was able to get some Screamin Eagle II's. They were much better with the BCTs but for the hell of it I tried a pair of DK Customs thunder torque inserts. Cost way less than the BCTs, but sounded so much better. And the bike seemed to have better low end power. That's what I've been running for years now.
You can try cutting down the baffles like Bubba suggested, but think about those TTI's. I think you'll get a much better sound.
Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I have a set of V&H Straight Shots on my bike right now, and if I could find a set of SEII slip ons I'd throw the Straight Shots in the trash! Worse sounding slip ons I've ever owned. They sound loud, tinny, and pop and backfire constantly when shifting....IMHO, they suck.
I have the full exhaust system, I decided to not go with just slip ons when I got them. I’m mostly okay with the actual sound of the pipes, just the volume level is what I’d like to change. If anything the sound seems to be muffled. I’ve definitely heard other V&H exhaust systems that have sounded better.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 PM
JPR778
5th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil

I think I’m going to order some of the thunder torque inserts. From what I’ve read they seem to be well worth the small price tag.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:06 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 2,966 Posts

Find a tinsmith to hammer you some "bell-mouthed" ends on your pipes. It'll look cool, and sound even LOUDER.

Or find an old euphonium bell...

Old 06-12-2021, 08:36 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 641 Likes on 292 Posts

Took the baffles out of my V&H slip ons and put in DK's TTI's,,,, Got a little louder and deeper sound with the change..

Old 06-12-2021, 08:41 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I agree 110%.

I bought a used 2014 Low Rider last August and I really hate the V&H exhaust that came on the bike. I even tried the quiet baffle and it didn't make much of a difference.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 08:45 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I agree 110%.

I bought a used 2014 Low Rider last August and I really hate the V&H exhaust that came on the bike. I even tried the quiet baffle and it didn't make much of a difference.
Do you get popping with up-shifts? I hate that. Mine pop when shifting from 1-2, 2-3, and sometimes 3-4. No matter the tune.

Quick Reply: V&H Straight Shots aren’t loud enough