Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to tune or not to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
bradykat
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to tune or not to tune?

hey need some advise on tuning i was my local dealer today asking about race tuner besides wanting to charge me almost 700 bucks he hinted that i souldn't need it so i called my local aftermarket guy about his suggestions he said with s/e a/c and bassani pipes that the ecu on 07 street bob was smart enough to adjsut accordingly
i wanted to get race tuner and install my self
any ideas or suggestions?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: to tune or not to tune?

I'm a PCIII fan. You need a SERT expert opinion. Still, I would NOT run the SE A/C and any performance pipes without some sort of ECM management. If the bike isn't smart enough to shut off its rear cylender when it gets hot in stop and go traffic (i.e. HD download needed), it's certainly not smart enough to self-adjust for new intake and exhaust.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
EVO80
Road Captain

With an high flow air cleaner and freer flowing pipes I would suggestion some sort of aftermarket ECM device, be it a SERT, PCIII, etc., to properly adjust your fuel flow. Stock HD's run lean due to the EPA and the stock ECM and mapping just doesn't have enough capabilities to adjust to more air flowing through the engine. Stock it's lean - with freer flowing pies and air cleaner and no adjustment to the ECM it's really lean to the point of potential damage to the engine.

I'm a fan of the PCIII and would recommend buying it from FUELMOTO. Tell them what you are doing to your bike and they will deliver the PCIII with a map that will more than satisfy you. I'd bet their map will get you to about 95% or more of your engines potential with the air cleaner and pipes you put on. JMHO

Old 10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
bradykat
4th Gear

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT IS THE BEST TUNER I CANT SEE GIVING DEALER 700 BUCKS FOR SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF

Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM
bamfstreetbob
Stage IV

what if just pipes are put on with stock air intake. you think getting it tuned or buying a tuner is still a good idea, or waste of money?

Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, if you change the intake and exhaust you will need some way to tune fuel injection.I like the SERT because it doesn't leave anything behind,has the most tunability and works with rather than bypassing your stock system.But, I just handed it to the man with the Dyno and said "knock yourself out dude" If I had to actually use the thing myself I'd probably go with the one with wide band sensors and that auto tune feature I think it's Thundermax or something.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Trotter
Banned

The dealer is somewhat right.. The ECM will adjust the fuel flow from 1800 and up but at Idle it will onlydo 14.7-1.. ( O2 censors at work ) Theres yer problem.. Sitting still the motor wont cool and Idle Way to lean..And get HOT... Find agood recommended Tuner and Talk to him, tell him your plans and see what he has the most success with.. If yer Gonna do allot of Motor work the Sert is yer best bet, way more Options.. Talk to a good Tuner... Most Info is, they push what they own, or what they make the most money on if it's a Indy.H/F AC and Bassiniand no tuner is not a good Idea. Make sure you tell him yer thinking about the Bassani he might have something to say or suggest.. hard pipes to dial in front to rear

Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Am I wronge to assume that after getting whatever you get, having everything dino-tuned is going to give you the best results? It's just a matter of $... But no matter what you buy having it Dynod will aways yeild the best results... assuming you have a good tech... Isn't it just a matter of deciding whether you want to save some money ot squeez every once of power out of your hardwear?