Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring for turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM
ninetyzero
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring for turn signals

I just put on a turn signal relocation kit for my front lights.
I skipped a few steps as I did not want to remove fuses and the gas tank as the instructions said. But not the wire is straight from the tripple tree to the light, and it kind of stands out. What all is involved in taking out the wires and redoing it so it isn't so tight? Do I really need to dissasemble the whole bike to do it? It seemed a little far fetched.
Obviously, I'm not that advanced in the whole works of the bike. Best I've done is installing my exhaust and fuelpak. Thanks.
Bike is '07 FXDL. Thanks again.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Wiring for turn signals

I just had a recent nightmare about this... Took a local stealer three weeks to put 'em on my bike. Apparently, it's a huge pain in the ***?

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2293081/tm.htm

Chris

Old 10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to consider getting a Kuryakyn setup. It plugs into the wiring connector under the tank, and there's only one wire per lamp from there to each lamp instead of three.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 AM
2tonebob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine last weekend, removing the fuse and purging the tank is not hard at all. You really need to move the tank back to get at the wire connectors and take the pins out so you can pull the wires out through the grommets at the neck. With the wires removed you can route the wires the way harley says to do it under the triple tree. They are a real pian to get back through the grommets and down to were you can get to them to put the connectors back together. Remember to write down whitch pin is number 1,2,and 3 before taking them out. It took me around 3 hours for the whole job. I used a small finnishing nail as a pin tool. I wasn't about pay 2 hrs labor for a service guy to install a $20 part. Now that I have done my own 5000 mi service and this install my service manual and sears crafstman lift have paid for themselves.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many threads on this same subject, I think I'm as guilty as the rest with one.

You may want to leave it the way it is, cheating and not doing the job the correct way until you know for sure you want to keep them.

I'll try to make a long story short, I did it the "quick" way" just to get them on the bike! (yeah, I was excited to make my first modification)
I then decided to make my own tank lift, this is when I did the job correctly (really was a pain in the azz doing it this way, but you do learn a little about your bike)
I then got sick of them sticking out so far (my opinion, and many others in this forum, read past posts), I ended up making some new ones myself and couldn't wait to get the Harley ones off!

That's where the trouble started, I had to go through the reverse process to get the wires back to the original routing. This is where my bike died for half an evening and was not revived till about 3 am the next morning...(There I was, just spent a good chunk of change, without the wifes blessing to say the least, and it wouldn't show any signs of life, dead, nothing)

Apparently, while fiddling around pulling wires, I accidentilly unplugged a very important set of wires, (I didn't mean to, they just came out somehow) the ignition plug was now being held in my hand. Just a fair warning, you cannot see up in the neck, everything is done by feel, and not that easy to stick fat fingers and hands up there either.

Anyway, somehow I figured this should plug into the same side that the key is on (kinda made sense in my mind), I felt around, nothing. It took a break, many beers, wrotea post asking if anyone knew where this plug belonged, a few more beers, (let's not forget that kick in the gut feeling, and that loss feeling,like the oneyou get when someone close to you has been hurt, or worse), got in around 2 am, tried to sleep, wasn't happening, this malfunction was on my mind.

Got out of bed, came to the computer, and the post had an answer! It's funny, when you know where to feel for something, the plug slips right in! (Left side, opposite the ignition/key).

Slept well after that, life is now good again, and the sun even came up that next morning!

That's also how I got to owe Doug down in Virginia his first beer. Since then, I owe him another, I guess he's waiting till I owe him a case to collect. (I'm sure he won't be the first guy you see with a case of beer behind him, big smile,riding down the highway)