Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

ORIGINAL: Jay Risk

Has anyone tried doing what Howard of Motorcyclemetal suggested- a Brembo caliper w/ Lyndall 300mm floating rotor and found it to work? Sounds like a great solution. Jay
Jay Risk I bought a set of Brembo’s and I will be doing a complete how-to on an actual FL. All models from 2000 through 2007 can benefit. I also have a 2005 Dyna (stock) so we shall see what goes on with that. I do hope there is intrest in this project. If you look onn a few of my older photos of my bikes (around 1 year ago), you will see the prototype. We (Paul from Lyndall & myself) came out with a new rotor that does not have buttons & springs (new hidded floating rotor system) but will be a full floater for looks. It will be unveiled at the Cinci. Trade show but you guys @ HD Forums will get the first look. These will be economy rotors with lots of value as you shall see. This time they were done for looks also combined with traditional performance

By the way, personally I use my own calipers on my own suspension & not Brembo's (lug mounted, which are great). I use radial mounted calipers & a different type of calipers including Brembo (Radial Mount).

Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard, thanks for the post. I'm not savvy about lug mount vs. radial mount, etc, but here's my "problem"(or opportunity?): The '06 Dynas are very diff. from earlier models- 1" axles, 49mm forks for starters- and I have the Street Bob with laced wheels. Anthony Desousa has someone trying to fit the Vrod Lowers on an '06 to make it possible to fit dual brakes, but to my knowledge there isn't anyone who has successfully done something like that. Closest upgrade has been fitting a 6 piston PM caliper.
I thought your FL Brembo solution might work, but it doesn't sound like anyone has actually done it, yet. If you do a fit with the Dyna, will you use your '05 or an '06/later model?
I am committed to finding a better braking solution to my problem- I ride 2 up a lot, have beefed up the suspension with Progressive 440's on the rear and Racetech emulators/springs on the front, now it's time to find a solution to inadequate braking when 'heavy'. Thanks for your help. Jay

Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 AM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone ever closed on these questions?
Will the VROD caliper bolt straight on to a 07 or 08 Dyna with mags?
What about spokes?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I cant think of any reason to compare sport bikes to HD, they are not the same animal. I'm ok with the brakes on the Fat Bob, Braided lines in front dual disk, stops on a dime. They ARE heavy but I don't really mind. Rear is sorta crappy, like others I will put Lyndall pads on next time around front and back.
Even with the **** HD pads, I can shut down from 60 pretty dam fast riding two up, and pretty good from 120 one up, I expect the better pads will help.
While you can spend a lot and make your brakes perform close to or perhaps equal to a sport bike, I don't have the need or do I want to spend the cash, learn to ride what ya got within reason.
I don't have a plastic sport bike, not my thing, I can appreciate the sport bike without expecting or wanting my HD to run/handle or look like one.
There is of course always room for improvement. I have owned 6 HD in my life, all but my sporster had dual disk front brake, if they didnt come with them, I put them there, I wont ride a single disk but thats just my preferance.
Funny, I was in a bike museum yesterday, HD, Indians, trumpets, and some others, didn't see a single "sport jap crap" in the bunch. Could it be there ARE no 20 30 40 50 60 yr old ricers around? I wonder why that is, (I'm pondering Pinky)

Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
davidarg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I crashed last week on my sportster. Was my fault but brakes didnt responde as good brakes.... Ill buying a dyna now and will put the best brakes i can find before i ride it. What is the recomendations? Complete brembo setup?