Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander, Ness Big Sucker vs Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander, Ness Big Sucker vs Dealerships

I've been checking around a bit regarding the Stage One and the following options were suggested:
* Ness Big Sucker Air cleaner
* Power Commander
* V&H Staggered Big Shots or Straight Shots

Here are the pros and cons mentioned by the dealership's service dept. (note that the Service Department I speak of has a solid rep and is more than willing to do the labor only... he just raised a few issues that concern me regarding performance):

- "The Big Sucker Air cleaner will stick out too far... your knees might be pushing against it"
- "You don't need a Power Commander since the download we do will be just fine using the chip... no need to fine tune it with a Power Commander and there is always the possibility that the Power Commander could disrupt your bike's electrical system... which could possibly be an issue in voiding your warranty"

The pros mentioned by those who use them:
- "The air cleaner is only $88.95 at Direct Parts and works just as well or better than the SE Air cleaner sold at $139"
- "The Power Commander will be able to dial in more directly than the basic chip download used by the dealerships... resulting in more horsepower and overall better performance"

On the Pipes:
- "Go with the Staggered because you get more performance than the Straight Shots due to the 'cross chamber' found in the Big Shots Staggered. The sound is great in both."
Please respond to some of the above comments. I don't have a problem using the Power Commander, or not using it... I just want to get the job done right the first time I do it so I don't have to worry about repeating anything later.

My riding will be simple and easy weekend stuff... no hot-rodding or anything like that and probably no multi-hour rides (3 back surgeries will prevent that from happening). Yet, I still want my bike to be at optimal when it comes to performance... especially if it is going to cost me a thousand dollars to make this happen after delivery.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander, Ness Big Sucker vs Dealerships

I would go with the Ness big sucker it's not in the way or at least not IMHO.

On the power commander you could go either way, with the PC you have the option of getting a dyno tune to get the most power or rideability out of the bike, and if you don't want to spend the money on the dyno tune you can go to the Power-Commander web-site and find a HD map (no cost and lots of maps available), that is matched as close as possible to your mods and try different ones till you find one that runs like you want.

On the exhaust I would go with what you think looks best on your bike either will help the sound and performance over stock.

Hope this helps

John TN

Old 02-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Fuente
Advanced

John.... If I didn't go with a Power Commander, I would most probably just have the dealership do their download. They wouldn't have a problem with me using my own Air Cleaner and Pipes. In fact, they will do just the labor if I supply everything. Do you think the dealership download would be efficient enough? Or would it be worth the $289 for the Power Commander? If the improvement with the Power Commander over the dealer download is significant... then I would do it. If it is just a little improvement... I wouldn't. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I went with a SE air cleaner, factory touring slip ons and the dealer remap. My bike runs well, there are no dead spots, backfires or any other problems.

I don't know what the Ness big sucker is, but all the articles I have read agree that the SE air cleaner passes just as much air as any, and more that some.

As far as the Power Commander goes, what performance do you expect from it with just pipes and an air cleaner? My guess is that with only the mods you're talking about, you're not going to see 2 hp difference, no matter which tuner you use. I doubt you would feel 2 hp one way of the other. If these are the only mods you plan, why spend the extra money on the Power Commander?

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Fuente
Advanced

Thanks for that insight, Bill. I called Direct Parts today and their message to me was that with the Power Commander, the installer could do a much better job of fine tuning things resulting in more optimal performance.... as opposed to a dealer doing their basic download. Even with just these few mods.

Being a novice, your message reads loud and clear... with minimal mods involved (simple Stage 1), why do the overkill with a Power Commander? Why pay extra for something when I probably won't need it? Is that what I am hearing, Bill? If so, it makes good sense.
It's just that there are many out there that swear by the Power Commander.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
rollnthunder
Tourer

Let me see i can help here.I have a brand new 05 FXDCI that has 500 miles.I just bought Vance & hines Straight shots,power commander,Arlen ness air cleaner and a bunch of other stuff.But i can tell you if you get the arlen ness 18-500 it works great with stock air cleaner cover and does not stick out any farther.Also the power commander is way better then the HD tuner and cheaper.The hd tuner is around $400 -$450 and only has generic maps for hd add on parts.No vance and hines or anything so then you have to have it custom tuned.Dont let them tell you any different.I compared the HD vs powercommander and after dyno time and all i saved about $300.Harley wants a minimum of 3hrs to do the hd tuner and dyno.The power commander is alot more user friendly then the hd tuner.I will say this the power commander does fit really tight under the seat area.As far as warranty goes.They could void you warranty with a HD tuner if they wanted to.The law states if they can prove with out a shadow of doubt that the aftermarket parts you installed caused the damage say goodbye to your warranty.As for the straight shots i got them and love them.Maybe i will take some pics so i can show you how it all looks.I was in the same boat as you so if you have any question just email me or post on here.Oh yeh one last thing i called dyno jet and they get $200 to do a custom map and dyno it.So for $557 or so you will have arlen ness big sucker,power commander and custom map and dyno vs hd screaming eagle aircleaner,hd tuner and there time to do the mapping comes out to $775 or so.I have the reciept for the package i put on so thats where i came up with the 557 and i have the quote from hd for theres.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Fuente
Advanced

It's good to hear from someone who was in the same position as I currently in... but one question. You mention the pros of using a Power Commander vs the HD Tuner. But what if you go with the following:

* Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner @ $88.95 (Direct Parts) vs SE Air Cleaner Kit @ $139.95 (HD)
* V&H Big Shots Staggered @ $429.00 (Direct Parts) vs $575.00 (HD)
** HD Dealership Download?

With the first two pieces to the puzzle, is it necessary to use the Power Commander? Or will the HD dealer Download suffice to give a much improved performance over stock? Also, since you probably shopped around with the various V&H pipes, why did you choose the Straight Shots over the Big Shots Staggered?

Everything I hear about these two pipes lean toward the Big Shots Staggered regarding optimal performance because of the 'crossover'. The sound seems to be comparable for both... but word is the Straight Shots are deeper. I worry about the Big Shots in my neighborhood on a Saturday morning. The last thing I want to happen is to fire it up, then alarms go off. I would be on sh*t street if that were to happen. Can you 'putt-putt' out of the neighborhood without raising too much hell? Thanks for everything.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have experience with Big Sucker and would highly recc it...I dont notice it any more than a stock one as far as sticking out. Prior to using Ness I ran the SE unit, didnt like the oil bath I got at speed nor the mount that broke.

I went with HD Race Pak Tuner set up for the processor and so far am happy

Old 03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
rollnthunder
Tourer

The only reason i bought the straight shots was
A. The sound.
B. The heat shields make it look all smooth from head pipe to mufflers.(I like smooth clean looks)
C.The PRICE.......
I have a chart that i found online that compared a bunch of the different exhaust.They where put on then dyno on the same bike.They gave the vance & hines straight shots a 99% street performance and a 98% horsepower ranking.To me the street performance is important to me i could care less if it make 100hp or 90hp or what ever because how often will you use it and with HP comes breaking parts.From my understanding from reading if you just put on some slip on Screaming Eagle mufflers then you can get a Download from hd for $150 plus the $230 for the mufflers.But when you change head pipe and all you should really do a custom map so you dont get any popping and crap that people talk and complain about.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Fuente
Advanced

Thunder..... two things to respond to your reply:

* Straight Shots sound - Did you hear the big shots staggered as well? If so, what was your opinion... and please compare it to the Straight Shots. I'm not sure I like the look of the Straight Shots as much as the Big Staggered Big Shots... but that is personal preference.

* The SE II mufflers are around $250 or so... but, my thought is why pay $250 for something that it seems many harley riders end up changing later.... as opposed of just paying an additional $100 for Straights, or even $175 more for Big Shots.... then never having to change out.

Lastly, I have heard so many different opinions on big shots staggered pipes. Some say they are way too loud and will be a nuisance to neighbors.... others say the baffles keep their tone down unless you crank it, which you shouldn't do anyway in your own neighborhood. I am concerned about just starting it up on a Saturday morning and the damn car alarms going off!

Any info helps immensely.

Quick Reply: Power Commander, Ness Big Sucker vs Dealerships