Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna low rider VS Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna low rider VS Sporty

ORIGINAL: wescoot2

ORIGINAL: rambobob

Seems like people trade up from sporties pretty quick after purchase.
+1

The best way I can describe the difference between the 2 bikes.....

Sporty you ride ON..

Dyna you ride IN..

Respects,
Ed
I think this says almost everything needed, I have one addition though. How much riding experince do you have with "heavy" bikes, I choose the dyna because it is a "riders" bike and with the right setup is as comfortable as most touring bikes minus the extra weight and large storage.

Go to the stealer during demo days and ride each of them, then rent the one you think you will like.
Enjoy.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Go Dyna or you'll regret it soon enough.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:09 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

The amount of riding experience you have is part of the same story...one buddy took the course, rode a Virago 750 for a year then bought a Dyna and has had no problems. He's also about 5'6"...that said, I went from a Sporty to a Dyna 'cause I wanted more room for touring with the wife. I tried a couple of Road Kings and the huge windshield and backrest (one had a tour pak) were preffered by the wife but they felt like going from a Camaro to a Kenworth to me...kept the Dyna. If you are going to want to do much 2-up then the Dyna is an excellent platform. Otherwise, a Sporty will serve you well and you should be able to find lots of them cheap with low miles if you are looking for used; then if you want to move up it shouldn't cost much to get rid of the Sporty.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:10 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,814 Likes on 13,012 Posts

THINK about it,wouldn't you rather have that big 96 inch,6 speed torque monster?Case closed.
ORIGINAL: bigwhisk2

I'm getting ready to purchase my 1st Harley. I haven't had a lot of riding experience but thats another story. I'm told that the Sportster even in the low version is top heavy and that the center of gravity on a Dyna Low Rider is much much better. Please help. I want to make the right decision.
[IMG]local://upfiles/50648/7E05040039E74064AD37F37E103FE590.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wescoot2

ORIGINAL: rambobob

Seems like people trade up from sporties pretty quick after purchase.
+1

The best way I can describe the difference between the 2 bikes.....

Sporty you ride ON..

Dyna you ride IN..
Respects,
Ed
You ride in it? Like a cage. Yep. Says it all![sm=biker2.gif]

Seriously, it depends on what you want. Try a couple of each. I suspect that if you asked the same question in the Sportster forum, the answers would tend to be different. But then again, Sportsters aren't for everybody.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:55 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you and you're wife are small-ish people you'll find that Sporty is gonna be too...small. If you're going solo, that's another story. Havingboth a dyna and a touring model, I advise people to buy the biggest bike you feel comfortable driving. The Low Rider is an excellent choice.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like em both.To me the most beautiful bikes ever made were the Harley Sportster and the Triumph Bonneville.But I own a Dyna, why? because I heard of so many people buying Sportsters and trading up I decided to start out with the big twin.In retrospect I probably would have had more fun with a Sportster because they're so much cheaper it would have freed up more cash for customisation.Plus, the way I ride is closer to what the Sporty was designed for, oh well.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
bigwhisk2
6th Gear

Since either way, I have to have a Rekluse or EFM modification added(can't quite reach the clutch from a stop, missing finger length on left hand should be ok once moving) I figured I'd get as much bike as I think I'll want now rather than trade up later. Money will not be an object. I've never riden a bike with a clutch but am a faster learner.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My $.02:
1. Most Sportsters I have seen are either long time owners or 1 to 2 year trade ins. If you go with the Sportster you will probably trade it in in a year or two, especially if money is not a restriction to you. That being said, if you do decide to start on the Sportster I would look at getting a 1 or 2 year old trade in (let someone else pay your deprec. and mods) that fits you. That way if you unload it in a year you won't lose a lot, and if you keep it in 5 years it will be an 06 instead of an 08 (who cares).
2. None of this may apply if you are stuck on a specific model only available in recent years (Nightster, anyone?)

Old 05-03-2008, 02:14 PM
gtfm
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the Dyna. Ihave owned a 78 and 90Sportster, a92 Softail Custom and a 05 Super Glide. They will have to bury me with my Dyna.

Quick Reply: Dyna low rider VS Sporty