Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results and question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno results and question

Just had some Dyno work done at the Dealer.
They managed to get 80.05 Max PWR and 79.13 Torque out of a stock 2006 FXDL TC88 With Stage 1, SERT, Ness big Sucker and a set of Screamin eagle slip ons with BCT Baffles.

The question I have is the Dyno service was $450.00 OUCH!!! (Man they even put glass shards in the vasoline!) $225 for dyno service is their normal rate, but the Charged another $225.00 to build a map.
I was under the asumption that a dyno tune included building a map to tune it, a one time fee.
I was charged twice for a tune and a custom map. I provided the SERT and had a basic modified map in their to begin with. Is this normal cost forDYNO work?
The have a special for 3 Dyno RUNS for 45.00 I understand there is no tuning involved, just results. What have you all paid for a true tune?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
Default RE: Dyno results and question

I've had mine dyno tuned twice at the dealer.

Once for Rush 2.0 slip-ons and once for V&H BSS.

The charge was for 3 hours labor both times, but that is with a Power Commander.

The SERT takes longer to tune because they have to shut down the bike to make adjustments between runs.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

They did say that the tech doing the Tuning Had to be "Paid Out" for building a map, Thus the extra $225.00.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMFAO..... I'll bet they did'nt use any vasoline at all.... just charged you for it! .

Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 96 Wide Glide

LMFAO..... I'll bet they did'nt use any vasoline at all.... just charged you for it! .
I hear ya Man! There's a sucker chump born every minute, and they saw me coming![8D]
Combined the Dyno tune with a 1000 mile service, which includes Fluid Change in all 3 holes.
Total bill was $684.23
No doubt they charged me a reaming fee, a hazard disposal fee (due to the fact of shitting myself on the spotafter I saw the Bill!!) etc...[&:]

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,793 Likes on 2,068 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dynaflyer

The question I have is the Dyno service was $450.00 OUCH!!!

(Man they even put glass shards in the vasoline!)

glass shards???

Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my question, coming from a new HD owner (1 yr), but a 20 yr hotrodder. What is the advantage of doing dyno runs over doing ET comparisons, if speed (or actually acceleration) is what you are really looking to maximize? If my bike dynos in the triple digits, but yours walks away from me of the light or on the highway, don't you have the better performing bike? Does the dyno tell you more than just HP and TQ? Clue me in, I afeel like I am missing something here.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,793 Likes on 2,068 Posts

ORIGINAL: BluBob

Here is my question,

Does the dyno tell you more than just HP and TQ?

Clue me in, I afeel like I am missing something here.
Blu, a good tuner will be going for rideability,
and, a respectable A/F ratio.

mud

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

Here is my question, coming from a new HD owner (1 yr), but a 20 yr hotrodder. What is the advantage of doing dyno runs over doing ET comparisons, if speed (or actually acceleration) is what you are really looking to maximize? If my bike dynos in the triple digits, but yours walks away from me of the light or on the highway, don't you have the better performing bike? Does the dyno tell you more than just HP and TQ? Clue me in, I afeel like I am missing something here.

I wish I could answer your questions....
The main reason I did the tune was to get a balance between the cylinders, and cooler running engine. During the tune the map is adjusted by adding fuel to correct the lean condition that the bike has when leaving the factory. (EPA Regs that Harley has to adhear to) as well as a whole host of other variables. Timing between cylinders, warm up skedetc.. The is alot to manipulate.
My concern is not a faster bike than others, just a smooth performing, cooler running over the entire spectrum.
As far as what the dyno can measure, I would have to let those more knowledgable chime in.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:10 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

Here is my question,

Does the dyno tell you more than just HP and TQ?

Clue me in, I afeel like I am missing something here.
Blu, a good tuner will be going for rideability,
and, a respectable A/F ratio.

mud
+1

I had my bike tuned to get the AFR down to 13:1 so the bike runs cooler in the Arizona heat.

The fact that I ended up with 80 hp and 90 torque with a nice power curve on my 96" was a bonus.

Quick Reply: Dyno results and question