Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration free. Front isolator problem fixed.Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the vibration
there was an artical about shimming the mount to frame i loosened the mount and there was a gap so i shimmed it
i have 26000mi now and mount is still not that far like the pic's
almost normal vibretion

Old 04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First I'd like to say "Thank you very much" to Expy for finding this issue and doing such an awesome job of documenting it. You da MAN!

I've been following this thread since it started, but never had that much vibration to complain about, even though I could see my front motor mount was touching the top of the isolator.

After installing True-Track last week I started getting a noticeable Vibe in the pegs while in the lower gears. After consulting with True-Track support, and verifying the recommended adjustments, I pulled the front isolator off my '08 Fat bob (with 6200 miles), brought it into my dealer, and compared it with a new part. It was just like looking at Expy's first picture in this thread. The difference in the two parts was obvious.

Sooo... I took the two isolators and showed them to the service manager and was told.

1) He knows I'm an engineer, but He knows a lot more about Harley's than I do.
2) He doesn't think that the new isolator will fix my problem.
3) The part number hasn't changed, so they haven't made any fab changes.
4) He'll have to have his tech ride the bike with the old mount and compare it with the new mount before he will cover it as warranty.

When I spoke with the service department 30 miles up the road they said - Sounds like a warranty issue, we'll be glad to throw it on the lift and take a look.

This is not the first such conversation I've had with that particular service manager. Needless to say, I'll go out of my way to NEVER spend another dime at Northwest Harley Davidson.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ratbob good luck with your fix, mine still rides nice. Thanks for the comps.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did new mount cut down on handlebar shake at idle

did anyone notice a before/aft less handlebar shake at idle when they changed their motor mount - the ones that felt an big improvement of less vibrations on the road? i was looking for an immediate quick static test/validation.

Last edited by getanxd; 06-05-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: no need to refer to thread i asked mods to remove...and thanks mods
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
great thread! I just had a chin spoiler and slip-ons installed and I now have the "buzz" in my bars. I'm betting the front mount was not torqued or aligned properly.
Update: Motor mounts OK. It turned out to be a heat shield hose clamp rubbing the frame (after slip-on installation). I backed it off and guess what? Normal vibes. The dealer never caught this...

Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread here, folks.. and very helpfull info! My sister is in the process of moving here from Oregon~ We shipped her bike ('06 LowRider) here early~ After getting it off the delivery truck, I decided to putt it around the nieghborhood just to 'check it out'~ I didn't even get around the block when I came pulling back into my garage~ This bike has way too much vibs from front to back... even for an HD~ Gives me anxiety just riding it~ It's been driving me crazy tryin to figure it out~ I was thinkin along the lines of warped rotors, cupped wheels, busted motor mounts... and then came across this thread today~ From the sounds of what most of ya'll have been experiencing before replacing the isolator(s)... this may very well be her problem~ Gives me something else to look at~ Thanks for the info... this is exactly what I love about this place~ Well, besides all the good people I've met and rode with~

Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 AM
getanxd
Advanced
Default anyone know of what HD says bout old mounts

has anyone heard of a recall or new part number change or anything on this old style motor mount that appears to be modified in expy's 1st pic of his old/new difference that seemed to fix his vibration problems?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 PM
chandler
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Double WOW!!! I replaced my "isolator" this morning and damn my 07 FXD is so smooth now. The front engine mount was resting on the isolator like many others. The vibes were tolerable, but not right. World of difference. Plus, I gained about 10HP. :-) You know this internet thing has a lot of benefits and is really going to catch on some day. Cheers!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
fatboyoz
Advanced

SNS,
I recently took my front mount out, it was also resting on the rubber at the top, and used a very sharp box cutter to slice the rubber hump off the top. The vibes are definitely better due to the fact that there is now no direct contact between mount and frame. Not sure if the engine will "settle" back down onto the mount again. Time will tell.
Colin.

Originally Posted by SeeNoSun
So i just wanted to revisit this with an idea and see what you guys think. After replacing one mount my new one rubs like the one in the pic above. The vibe only comes in at around 50mph but it can be intermittent as it is barely touching. The dealer that replaced the mount says there is nothing wrong with this mount.

So I talked to a tech that is cool and always shoots straight with me. He has a Dyna and says it eats motor mounts too. He makes his mounts last a little longer by grinding the top rubber hump down where it is rubbing to a little to add some clearance once the mount has settled a little.

I just wanted to see what others think of this idea. Seems like it might work for those who aren't under warranty as long as you don't grind too much.

Let me know what u think.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM
fatboyoz
Advanced

I recently had my front mount out. Compared it to a new one at the dealer and had the same experience as Expy. The difference, as far as I could see, was due to the fact that my mount had "set" in the deformed position. Other than this the mounts were identical. I went home, and cut a piece of 3/8" neoprene and put this between the top of the mount and the frame and bolted it all back together (lots of cursing required to do this as it was a really tight fit). I then didn't ride the bike for about a month. When I finally took the bike for a ride, the vibration was diabolical. Back into the garage, off with the mount again and removed the piece of neoprene. You wouldn't believe it, the mount had been pushed back into it's original position, by the neoprene, and there was now a nice gap at the top between mount and engine. Knew that this would not remain so for too long, so used a sharp box cutter to cut the hump of rubber off the top of the mount and the vibes are back under control. Time will tell if the engine "settles" back onto the top of the mount. For the moment it's great.
Colin.

Originally Posted by getanxd
has anyone heard of a recall or new part number change or anything on this old style motor mount that appears to be modified in expy's 1st pic of his old/new difference that seemed to fix his vibration problems?

Last edited by fatboyoz; 06-27-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration free. Front isolator problem fixed.Pics