Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

centering tire in fender

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:43 AM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: centering tire in fender

Now is the tracking a problem that I should try to correct. The dealer service tech said that is normal. I don't know and never heard of this. any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 AM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange
&nbsp\\;
I just updated this post https://www.hdforums.com/m_3525249/tm.htm&nbsp\\;and then saw this one
&nbsp\\;
Off center is easy to fix
&nbsp\\;
the post above will work.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 10:02 AM
98glider
Road Warrior

Did you loosen all the rubber mounts including the upper stablizer to and stared up and shut off.How did you move the motor over. I never adjusted the rubber mounts and stabalizer since I had the bike and I have 32,000 miles on her. i also know that the dealers are not doing this on there services. My bike never given me a reson to do this because she runs smooth and straight. I might have to look into this is this easy and not complicated to do

Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i remember before i changed out my stock front end to the wide glide front end with a 21 inch tire, my street bob pulled to the right something fierce

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer

I used a prybar wrapped in a shop rag between the front cylinder and the frame.&nbsp\\; My rear tire was off to the primary side and I moved it to the pipe side.&nbsp\\; The engine moves real easy with all (front and rear and top) mounts loose.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Mine was off so bad you couldnt put your fingers between the tire and the fender on the primary side.&nbsp\\; now it it &lt\\; 1/8 inch off by a tape.&nbsp\\; The inclinometer shows i withing 1 degree.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

You start to aligning the bike#1. You can align your bike using the method I published on my web site under DIY section. Now if you wish you can move all body work o suit your needs. Your bike must drive and track properly. Your bike is made to use on the street and drive you down the road. Now proceed to get it to look the way you wish but leave the wheels alone after calibrating.

that's a nice method to use. seems simple enought to do....of course the wheel can still look out of center (on a dyna anyways) if the engine stabilizer is off, therebye, causing some lean to the rear wheel and entire swingarm.... this will make the tire closer to the fender on the one side the stablizer is angled towards... One degree(the alloted amount) is noticable enough to look off center.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
98glider
Road Warrior

I just checked the wheel and they are equal in bothsides of swing arm. I also rechecked the wheel axle to the pinhole on the swing arm and they are equal. I am having a hard time understanding how the tire is off under the fender. If the stabalizer is off wouldn't the belt on the pulley be off aliitle and you should see the when the belt guard is off and turning the tire foward. now they dealer did say verbaly that the belt does track to the right heading toward the motor. Maybe I am reading this to much or yoy guys can set me staight Thanks Guys

Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
0ut1aw
Tourer

First, only true way to tell is to use an inclinometer.&nbsp\\; With this little device (home depot has them) get a buddy to hold the bike as straight true and levelas possible.&nbsp\\; Check the agle on the rotor of the front and rear book say these angle must be within 1.5 degrees (i think)&nbsp\\; Basically if youor front wheel is straight up at 90 degrees your rear wheel should be also.&nbsp\\; My bike was front at 90 and rear at 85.&nbsp\\; I even got&nbsp\\;a ridge/shoulder on my rear tire after 3-4 thousand miles.
&nbsp\\;
I agree with a prior post in that the wheel can be perfect and still look off center.&nbsp\\; As for being centered in the swing arm.&nbsp\\; The azle runs through the swing arm and wheel so this is the pivot point.&nbsp\\; The wheel can be centered in the swing arm and still be angled one way or the other and it will appear off center in the fender.&nbsp\\; (this is how mine was).&nbsp\\; As for ridability, I could release my bars at 80 mph and she didnt pull at all.&nbsp\\; The bike ran straight and true.&nbsp\\; The only evidence i had of a problem was the appearance and the tire wear.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;