Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

56 Super Glide Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
56Panhead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 56 Super Glide Restoration

This engine was turned over by passing through the kicker over time so it is not seized and it does have some serious compression. I agree on putting it back the way it is instead of trying to make a bunch of changes. The man who gave me this did find the orignal front and rear fenders for the frame so it is apparent I am doing another roadtrip to Kansas to recover them and see what the status is of them. Short of new lines, cables and hoses along with the tins I may just get it fired up and run it a spell. Some have said just clean the carb and stick it on and put the juice to see what happens. That in itself is a ways down the road but surely by mid JNune I can take it to Sparks for a party discussion topic.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM
56Panhead
Intermediate

Here are a few more pictures of this beast. I finally figured this thing out I thunk.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10924/28299682667A40B6AFC2D4176C2C84AB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10924/9615E79F2AC34A4EA49EE7738C6EA548.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10924/21414EFF5C3B4CEF8E1BDF903E9119D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'm interested to see how it will look once it's all cleaned up and ready for a ride. Don't think I could ever turn down a free panhead!

Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
56Panhead
Intermediate

Craig I will definitely keep ya posted as to the progress. Ordered the manual today and then will see what is really going on with it.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
gottaguy
Cruiser

DO NOT SOAK THE LINKERT IN CARB CLEANER
at least not for more then 5 min.
you will not like what you don't have left afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!
that carb cleaner bucket stuff is designed for aluminum, not brass.
disassemble and spray with carb cleaner individually. pipe cleaner dipped then into the low and high speed areas. when re-installing do not tighten the mixture screws down. just till they bottom out.
an old trick to clean the needle and seat area is to use cigarette ash and lap the two with the ash.
try bills custom cycle, in berwick/bloomsberg pa.
or if he's still in business nicks salvage in southern jersey

Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
56Panhead
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up on the carb cleaner. I am wondering if a complete linkert kit with all the shafts gaskets, needles and jets is necessay or just use the typical rebuild kit. The man I got this from said it was running when he shut it down over 25 years ago. The carb is full of tar gummed up and tarnish stinch galor. I am thinking if it ran why not just a simple kit to see if it is still capable or go ahead and shell out the 300 bones for a full kit. Has anyone built a Linkert 74-B? Can sure use some advise here.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You could contact my brother Kirk who is an expert on Panheads. He could answer any questions you may have, or give you history on the Pans. He owns a 1955 and a 1958 Pan as well as a 1947 Knuckle. He is also the author of the book 'Mechanics and Owners Guide for 1941 To 1959 Big Twins.' His current activity is writing another book on restoring Knuckle and Panhead machines. Email him at kperryhd@sbcglobal.net
Good luck on your restoration. Yes, the bike is in rough condition now, but it appears that it is somewhat complete. IF THAT ORIGINAL FRONT END IS AVAILABLE, pack your bags and leave now to pick it up! Get any parts the previous owner may still have that went with the bike originally. Parts that are readily available today consist mainly of aftermarket stuff, most of which is pretty much junk.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting a sporty front end on them older bikes go way back to the early 60s I had a 62 with one on it, very common chopper idea. As for parts for your bike you may try www.jpcycles.com for their vintage catalog..If you go the full restoring way you can expect a high dollar return on your money, mostly i would think you would make a little or just break even..nice project though, wish I had it as I'm retired and need something to keep me off my bikes. 3 gal. of gas yesterday for $10.00 at that rate i will spend $300.00 + a month just for gas alone in the bike

Old 04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
56Panhead
Intermediate

Piniongear thanks for the information and I will contact him as it looks as if I need a heck of a lot of help but informationally and physically. The bad thing is I have a surgery on my right hand next month so I am riding as much as possible now and will do the research, parts hunting and scheduling the restoration during my down time. Then there are the rallies in June which it would be nice to ride the pan but we will see what the doctor says and the wife allows.

Bear64 thanks for the comments and yes with gas as high as it is and will continue to increase is one reason we ride as much as possible. Imagine being is some of those one ton cages and see how far they go on 5 gallons. Did not know JPCycles had a vintage catalog but will get one on the way today. Thanks and have a great day.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:17 PM
56Panhead
Intermediate

[:@] Ok I have removed the tanks and Linkert carb. Now does anyone know the OEM numbers for the tanks? This is a 65 ElectraGlide but I think the front end was swapped but the frame is original and someone had stamped the frame for some darn reason. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 56 Super Glide Restoration