Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing

Was awakened an hour ago by a call from the Service Writer. I was wavering between hope and dread as I answered. I had taken the Wide in yesterday morning and demonstrated the IPB noise to him by shifting into 1st gear while idling with the clutch in (to stop the rotation of the offending bearing), shifting to neutral, rolling the RPM's up a few hundred, then dumping the clutch...that whirring "dry bearing" sound was undeniable. Well, later when he did the same demo for the Service Tech, guess who denied it? The Tech said, "That's normal for an '06 Dyna" (WTF!?!?!)

I knew the Service Writer was on the same page as me, but his opinion doesn't trump the "expertise" of the Tech. When he called me yesterday and explained that the Tech didn't think there was a problem, he was apologetic and said I had two choices: 1) I could ride away after paying 1-hr Labor to diagnose a "non-existent problem" ; 2) I could authorize them to open it up and investigate further, BUT, if they found nothing (as the S-T was expecting) then I'd be on the hook for 3-4 hours @ $90/hr Labor plus gaskets, oil, etc., to tear down/reassemble. I imagined myself picking the bike up, riding the **** out of it for a few days, and rolling thru the Service Department doors with that bearing singing Broadway tunes, and yelling, "Can ya HEAR ME NOW!?!?!?"

I opted to roll the dice and gave the go-ahead to tear into it. I spent a long day/night worrying about how much effort a Tech (biased against finding a problem) was gonna expend looking for one! I got my answer when Daniel called this morning. The Tech found .006" runout on the shaft, metal transfer between the bearing/race, heat discoloration to same, and metal residue in the oil ("sounded normal to you, did it?"). Daniel went on to say he'd spoken to Milwaukee and they were giving him authorization to replace the IPB & Race, Inner Primary Case, Transmission Cases & Bearings - the whole shootin' match. I'm going to have him order the chrome Inner Primary Case, and I'll pay any $$ difference over the black one. Whew! I've regained some confidence in my local Service Department and now have confidence that this will be the last time I deal with this issue for a good long time.

He just called back as I was typing this to report that none of the parts on his list were showing as backordered, but that there was a 10-day lead time from the tranny case supplier, in addition to the 7-10-day HD parts order & delivery time. Looks like I'll be back on the Vulcan, or in the convertible for about 3-wks. And it looks like you'll be free of my IPB rants for the same!

Special thanks to my friend Andreas for his research, moral support, and advice. Also to Forums member Jim W. for his experience and ammunition.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 05-06-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Thanks
The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (04-15-2021)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Great news A) the tech who found that noise as normal ACTUALLY found a problem, proving he needs to lighten up a bit and B) they will warranty the issue. Sad to know you'll be without your ride for the better part of a month.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:17 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well on the bright side you still have another ride to carry you through.

I've got to look at getting a second beater bike.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally a few weeks free of your ipb rants/complaints....lol j/k

Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

Yeah, younger bro just bought a beater bike to back up his '04 Wide; a loaded 100th Anniversary Heritage Softail, mint, 3600-mi, $10.5K.....Bastage!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pkellymc
Yeah, younger bro just bought a beater bike to back up his '04 Wide; a loaded 100th Anniversary Heritage Softail, mint, 3600-mi, $10.5K.....Bastage!
We apparently have differing definitions of what a "beater bike" is...

I'm glad to hear you're getting your bearing problem fixed under warranty. I'm keeping my ears open as my 06 comes up on the 15k mark.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Andreas
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad it worked out, Patrick!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Straight from the DNC?

Andreas;

I think your signature quote has been adopted by the new administration as their "stimulus" plan. Welcome aboard the Dyna Forum.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
black dyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine went out at 5000 and 10000,at 10000 they pulled the tranny out and put new berrings in the tranny thay said.i am at 26000 now knock on wood.its a 07 super glide.from 10000 miles i am running red line trans oil,red line in the motor and harley dino trans/chain oil in the primary.word of advice DONT RUN SYN 3 IN THE TRANS its to light

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (04-15-2021)
Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Lorddaftbiker
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inner Primary Bearing Info

PKellyMC,

Thank you for the inner primary info. I've been reading threads and wondering what will likely happen with the inner primary bearing on my '06 FXDCI ever since I signed a promise on the day I bought it to bring it to my dealer at 16K miles to have the inner primary bearing replaced. It's not a big deal if the dealer & the motor company do the right thing, but it's disappointing that H-D released the 6 speed w/o making sure it was rock solid first. Typical H-D, though, if you know their history of first year anything. Oh, well. So far, so good for me, I have a 3rd quarter production run bike, but I won't be confident that everything is o.k. until after the bike gets checked out at 16K miles & proper wear is confirmed.

Thanks again for sharing,
Lorddaftbiker

Quick Reply: Finally, Good News - Inner Primary Bearing