Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip on's almost slipped off

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
JoeGrapes
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slip on's almost slipped off

I read a post on here a few days ago about a guy who had his slip on mufflers fall off. Last week I put a set of Screamin Eagle slip on's on my 07 FXDC and they're just the right sound for me. Anyway, I thought I'd check to see if they were loose. The rear one was good and tight but the front one was loose. What the hell, I said, I made sure they were tight when I put them on. So I got out the socket and sure enough they were both tight. I looked closer at the clamp on the loose muffler and noticed that it was just about an 1/8" over the solid part of the pipe. When I moved the clamp so the slot in the pipe was just starting to show and then tighten it down, bingo the muffler was nice and tight. So if anyone has just put a set of mufflers on go back and check on the clamp to be sure it's not clamping over the solid part of the pipe. It dosen't take much.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Put 1 rivet through the clamp, slip on and head pipe. Then you'll never worry about your slip ons becoming slip offs.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone on here told me to torque slipons as tight as I could,then ride it around to get it hotone time and tighten them down again. I never had a problem with my slipons!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
FATBOB.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call your harley dealer , they will tell you the spec to torque
them down.after enjoy your ride...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
GeorgeJ
Road Captain

I had the same problem. Fixed it by getting a new set of clamps. They seem to have a "use once then throw away" characteristic as do many HD fasteners. - George

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
2007z71
Tourer

Yep, I know that guy that had his fall off!!! HEHE! I am still buying parts for that dumb ACE mishap. Thanks to several of the guys from this site I am hoping I will be riding by the weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be checking all your bolts, fasteners, etc. as part of the pre-ride TCLOCSs check every time you ride. Anyone whose exhaust falls off because of loose bolts has only their own negligence to blame.

See the MSF's TCLOCs checklist at: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 PM
2007z71
Tourer

Originally Posted by rdondes
You should be checking all your bolts, fasteners, etc. as part of the pre-ride TCLOCSs check every time you ride. Anyone whose exhaust falls off because of loose bolts has only their own negligence to blame.

See the MSF's TCLOCs checklist at: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf
Its almost like I have heard this before?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain

A gal I work with had both her stock mufflers fall off. She has an '07 Dyna with about 10k on it. Bone stock.

Bet she checks them bolts on a regular basis now.

BTW, I wonder how many riders actually do that complete checklist every time they ride. I know I don't.....

Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

I check the air in my tires, all fluids, all electrics and every bolt and fastener I can get to from the front tire to the rear license plate every time I take my bike out of the garage. It takes me 15 minutes. To have one's footpegs, exhaust pipes, horn, seat, license plate, air cleaner, battery box cover, battery cables, rear belt pulley, headlight, etc. etc. fall off because of neglecting the TCLOCs check is sheer negligence. Same for neglecting replacement of worn tires and checking the operation of the brakes. And because riding a motorcycle is inherently a thousand times more dangerous than driving a car, neglecting the pre-ride check is not smart either. Riding your bike like you stole it is fine - I do it all the time. But only after I've checked the bike out.

Quick Reply: slip on's almost slipped off