Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking my Dyna's oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

From the owners manual for my 09 Dyna Low Rider:

Oil Level Cold Check
1. For preride inspection with the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, unscrew and remove engine oil filler cap. Wipe off the dipstick and insert it back into the oil pan with the cap screwed completely into the fill spout.
2. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Oil level should register between the two marks on the dipstick. If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil to bring the level in the middle of the two marks on the dipstick. Note: Clean oil from the dipstick threads. If oil is present on threads it can weep past the dipstick o-ring. This condition may be incorrectly diagnosed as an oil leak.

Oil Level Hot Check
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. With the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
3. Remove and wipe off the dipstick. Insert it back with the cap screwed completely into the filler neck.
4. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Add only enough oil to bring the level to the full mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill. Use only recommended oil specified in maintenance and lubrication, engine lubrication.
5. Replace filler cap and screw in securely.

CAUTION: Oil level cannot be acccurately measured on a cold engine. For pre-ride inspection with motorcycle leaning on jiffy stand on level ground, oil should register on dipstick between arrows when engine is cold. Do not add oil to bring the level to the full mark on a cold engine.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

on mine whether it is hot or cold, it is always at the full line.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
The most effective way to check the oil is to loosen the filler, lay the bike over on the right side. If oil comes out, pick the bike up and ride. If no oil drips out, then I would imagine you need some.

Works on Sportsters and Softails too
Wow insightful! that works with my honda civic too but I need help tipping the car over! If you tip it on the left side and no oil comes out then at least your not over-filled right?

CAUTION: Oil level cannot be acccurately measured on a cold engine. For pre-ride inspection with motorcycle leaning on jiffy stand on level ground, oil should register on dipstick between arrows when engine is cold. Do not add oil to bring the level to the full mark on a cold engine.
IMO thAT IS JUST A CROCK OF **** as your still quite safe even if your missing half a quart.So just get into the habit of checking cold or checking hot.

Last edited by maddghost; 09-05-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foodog
From the owners manual for my 09 Dyna Low Rider:

Oil Level Cold Check
1. For preride inspection with the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, unscrew and remove engine oil filler cap. Wipe off the dipstick and insert it back into the oil pan with the cap screwed completely into the fill spout.
2. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Oil level should register between the two marks on the dipstick. If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil to bring the level in the middle of the two marks on the dipstick. Note: Clean oil from the dipstick threads. If oil is present on threads it can weep past the dipstick o-ring. This condition may be incorrectly diagnosed as an oil leak.

Oil Level Hot Check
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. With the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
3. Remove and wipe off the dipstick. Insert it back with the cap screwed completely into the filler neck.
4. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Add only enough oil to bring the level to the full mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill. Use only recommended oil specified in maintenance and lubrication, engine lubrication.
5. Replace filler cap and screw in securely.

Wow! That's what I'm talking about!

The following users liked this post:
juliang (10-12-2019)
Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Lucien
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another oil level question...

I just checked the oil level in my wife's 06 Street Bob.

I rode it around the block to warm it up. Then with the bike on the jiffy stand, I cleaned off the dipstick and screwed it back in. Only the tip of the dipstick barely shows a little oil on it. That is WAY too low. How does that happen? There are no signs of an oil leak. The last owner had the 1000 mi service done, and we're only at 2,300mi. Its too soon for a regular oil change.

Do these bikes 'use' oil and require having to add more regularly?

Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe they never put enough oil in at the 1000 mile service. Get it back up to the full mark then keep an eye on it to see how much it uses. I have heard while breaking in, your bike could use more oil but isn't break in supposed to be like the first 500 miles or so?

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 09-07-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Lucien
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Maybe they never put enough oil in at the 1000 mile service. Get it back up to the full mark then keep an eye on it to see how much it uses.
Thanks for the response. I guess that is the best thing to do.

Do you have to use the Harley brand multi-grade oil? Or will another brand SAE 20W50 be just as good?

Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Originally Posted by maddghost
leave enough time for all oil to drip into the pan
Whatchu talkin 'bout Willis? HD's have a dry sump.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucien
Do you have to use the Harley brand multi-grade oil? Or will another brand SAE 20W50 be just as good?
Nope, you don't have to use HD oil, I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 synth oil in mine.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
When ever the last ride of the day happens, I let the bike idle while resting/leanig on the jiffy stand. I shut it off, wait a minute or two, then check the oil level. If I don't see a big ol puddle under the bike the next day, I know the oil level is good.
+1
This is the how I do it, just like the owners manual states.

Mike

Quick Reply: Checking my Dyna's oil