Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking my Dyna's oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
1Texan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucien
I just checked the oil level in my wife's 06 Street Bob.

I rode it around the block to warm it up. Then with the bike on the jiffy stand, I cleaned off the dipstick and screwed it back in. Only the tip of the dipstick barely shows a little oil on it. That is WAY too low. How does that happen? There are no signs of an oil leak. The last owner had the 1000 mi service done, and we're only at 2,300mi. Its too soon for a regular oil change.

Do these bikes 'use' oil and require having to add more regularly?
Old thread, but if anyone is still reading it, I bought my first Harley, 2006 FXDC, and he just had the mothership service the oil. Problem with mine is the engine seems to be waaay overserviced. Now Iīm wondering if my kick stand, (donīt make me say Jiffy), is not at the true angle or something or do the dealerships just not give a ****. Or is the slight angle of my carport enough to distort is that much? I guess the only thing to do is drain it and start all over again...!?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 PM
FATBOB.
Tourer

Originally Posted by blacknsilver
on mine whether it is hot or cold, it is always at the full line.
same here on my 2008 fatbob. when i do my oil change i use 2.5 QUARTS of oil

and its perfect to the top line.i loose a square after 5000km...(3125 miles )

Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 AM
DXrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kk6pg
The most effective way to check the oil is to loosen the filler, lay the bike over on the right side. If oil comes out, pick the bike up and ride. If no oil drips out, then I would imagine you need some.

Works on Sportsters and Softails too
My dad always told me "when it stops dripping on the basement floor its time to add more."

Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 AM
HDTech74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jiffy stand, hot.
I usually make sure hot it's in the cross hatch area.

too much and it will find the easiest place to blow out, usually out of the breathers.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucien
Thanks for the response. I guess that is the best thing to do.

Do you have to use the Harley brand multi-grade oil? Or will another brand SAE 20W50 be just as good?

Just make sure it is rated for V-Twin motorcycles and not just car oil. The local Advance Auto should carry a couple brands, mine has Mobil and Valvoline V-Twin.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
the dutchman
Intermediate
Smile

Originally Posted by Topspin
Guys:

I glance at the oil dipstick before almost everytime I ride. Me thinks: Ok it's there and it's not too dirty is my general impression. (I get it changed every 2500). Just making sure it didnt all leak out or evaporate or something. LOL

But HOW do I do it correctly? You know, perform a perfect oil check. Never bothered to figure that one out. Bike straight up and down or leaning on jiffy stand? Bike hot or cold? Screw the dipstick in all the way in or not? Wipe it off, redip it and where should it be on the stick? Hellifiknow!

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony
According to my 2001 Dyna manual cold( pre ride ) check, on jiffy stand, oil should be between add and half way mark with dipstick all the way in.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Well checked mine after about a 15-20 mile ride tonight, 30 minutes after the ride and here it was

l
X X X X Xl X X
l

I've got a bit over 600 miles and I seemed to remember using a bit of oil in break in on all the new HD I have bought. Anyone had a different experience?
l

Old 07-18-2011, 08:50 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just push the button on the Harley Davidson electronic chrome LCD display dipstick prior & after each use & it tells me all I want to know about the oil level & oil temp! Its super acurate too!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM
orin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodog
From the owners manual for my 09 Dyna Low Rider:

Oil Level Cold Check
1. For preride inspection with the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, unscrew and remove engine oil filler cap. Wipe off the dipstick and insert it back into the oil pan with the cap screwed completely into the fill spout.
2. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Oil level should register between the two marks on the dipstick. If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil to bring the level in the middle of the two marks on the dipstick. Note: Clean oil from the dipstick threads. If oil is present on threads it can weep past the dipstick o-ring. This condition may be incorrectly diagnosed as an oil leak.

Oil Level Hot Check
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. With the vehicle resting on the jiffy stand on level ground, allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
3. Remove and wipe off the dipstick. Insert it back with the cap screwed completely into the filler neck.
4. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. Add only enough oil to bring the level to the full mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill. Use only recommended oil specified in maintenance and lubrication, engine lubrication.
5. Replace filler cap and screw in securely.

CAUTION: Oil level cannot be acccurately measured on a cold engine. For pre-ride inspection with motorcycle leaning on jiffy stand on level ground, oil should register on dipstick between arrows when engine is cold. Do not add oil to bring the level to the full mark on a cold engine.
This is pretty much what my 2009 FXD Dyna Super Glide manual says.

Before I took my bike to the mechanic last weekend I did a cold check and it was past the full mark, and the cleaner was spitting out oil. It was part of the reason why i took it in for an oil change, I wanted to make sure it was spitting out oil because there was too much in it, and not something else. At the same time it was due for an oil change anyway.

The thing I'm puzzled by is:

After the oil change by my mechanic, here is the result:

Cold check: Oil is at the FULL mark on the dipstick AGAIN(!!!!).

I cheated on the warm check, and skipped #1 above. I just let it idle for 2 minutes. Didn't have time to ride it today. The Semi-warm check result: Dipstick had oil between the bottom mark and the halfway mark (oil on first 2-3 "X"s).

What gives? Oil at the FULL mark on a cold check, and the opposite on a "semi" warm check ( which I admittedly didn't follow to the letter)?! Even with only 2-3 minutes at idle I would think it would go higher than the first 2-3 X's.

Im quite confused as the dipstick seems to be telling me the opposite of what I would expect from reading the manual.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:02 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by risuperglidecustomman
I just push the button on the Harley Davidson electronic chrome LCD display dipstick prior & after each use & it tells me all I want to know about the oil level & oil temp! Its super acurate too!
+ 1...unless the batterie dies.

Quick Reply: Checking my Dyna's oil