Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking my Dyna's oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Checking my Dyna's oil

Guys:

I glance at the oil dipstick before almost everytime I ride. Me thinks: Ok it's there and it's not too dirty is my general impression. (I get it changed every 2500). Just making sure it didnt all leak out or evaporate or something. LOL

But HOW do I do it correctly? You know, perform a perfect oil check. Never bothered to figure that one out. Bike straight up and down or leaning on jiffy stand? Bike hot or cold? Screw the dipstick in all the way in or not? Wipe it off, redip it and where should it be on the stick? Hellifiknow!

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Last edited by Topspin; 09-04-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
goodkarmech
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 97 Dyna service manual says: "on the Jiffy, normal operating temperature, do not overfill tank. Tank needs some sir space".

Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goodkarmech
My 97 Dyna service manual says: "on the Jiffy, normal operating temperature, do not overfill tank. Tank needs some sir space".
Hmmmm... But I ain't doin the fillin'. I be doin the checkin!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:42 PM
goodkarmech
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That means don't add too much oil to make it over the full mark if it is low...
Buy the manual for your bike, if in doubt, better to be safe than sorry.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are checking it before your first ride of the day you need to start it up and let it run for a few minutes to warm up and get the oil circulating. Then kill it and with it on the jiffy stand the oil level should be at the full mark.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:58 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My bikes a 2000 and back then you check the oil when it is on the jiffy stand. Also it should be checked after the bike is warmed up.

Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, push it back in till it seats, pull it out and check the oil level.

Originally Posted by Topspin
Guys:

I glance at the oil dipstick before almost everytime I ride. Me thinks: Ok it's there and it's not too dirty is my general impression. (I get it changed every 2500). Just making sure it didnt all leak out or evaporate or something. LOL

But HOW do I do it correctly? You know, perform a perfect oil check. Never bothered to figure that one out. Bike straight up and down or leaning on jiffy stand? Bike hot or cold? Screw the dipstick in all the way in or not? Wipe it off, redip it and where should it be on the stick? Hellifiknow!

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,332 Likes on 2,364 Posts

When ever the last ride of the day happens, I let the bike idle while resting/leanig on the jiffy stand. I shut it off, wait a minute or two, then check the oil level. If I don't see a big ol puddle under the bike the next day, I know the oil level is good.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With my pipes it just makes sense to check it cold,for safety sake man those burn scars last a long time! ouch!! sitting on the on the jiffy, leave enough time for all oil to drip into the pan (2 minutes max) wipe the dipstic screw it all the way back down and out. cold level anywhere above half the squares but not over the last square. hot it should be right at the top line. You are still safe to ride as long as there is oil on the dipstick when cold,but i would never push my luck with that.I change mine after every 3000 miles and never have to add oil. sure some is gone but it's ok.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If I recall, it states on the dipstick to check while hot and on the jiffy stand.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The most effective way to check the oil is to loosen the filler, lay the bike over on the right side. If oil comes out, pick the bike up and ride. If no oil drips out, then I would imagine you need some.

Works on Sportsters and Softails too

The following 2 users liked this post by kk6pg:
bigal51 (10-11-2019), Buster (10-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Checking my Dyna's oil