Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Drop In Lowering Kit and Fork Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 PM
SigEpRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Drop In Lowering Kit and Fork Oil?

I have a 2009 Street Bob and I just got my new Progressive Drop In Lowering Kit today. I want to do the install myself and was wondering if it was worth it to change the fork oil at the same time. I am not sure I am up the task of removing the forks to change the oil. Does the lowering kit stiffen up the front end enough to not require heavier weight fork oil? Suggestions please.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:43 AM
09streetbobber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the drop in kit on mine. thats why they made the drop in kit so that you dont have to mess with fork oil. just take the tops off pull the old spacer and spring out drop your new ones in and cut your pvc spacer down to size. Remember youll need a coat hanger or something to fish out your old spring from the fork tube. Have fun!!!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
SigEpRider
Intermediate

When you installed the kit, was there a noticeable difference in stiffness of the front end? Did it also improve braking and handling?

I like a stiff front end just as much as a stiff rear end (j/k). I would appreciate your overall impressions of the kit.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Progressive springs are different than stock and displace more oil, I had two different levels from the factory, it would be best to check the levels per Progressive instructions. I went with the Amsoil shock therapy med.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,897 Likes on 1,499 Posts

When I did mine I went with a 20w fork oil.

Rode it that way for a while and finally decided it was too stiff.

I had some work done on the front end and had them change it to the Screaming Eagle fork oil.

That was a good set up as far as comfort and stability.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 PM
damfino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to hijack, but .... i'm thinking of the same mod this fall / winter. Would like to go with 2" drop in front to go along with 1" drop in rear. Any issues with dragging in the corners? I assume lean angle is reduced some.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I just installed the drop in kit. Cut the tubes to 5.0 inches and changed the fork oil. I was pretty impressed. It still sucks up the small bumps quite well and won't bottom out on the huge ones for the most part. It is stiffer than stock, but the bike looks a heck of alot better and seems to handle great. I run forward controls and have zero issues with dragging them BUT, I run a taller than stock 21 inch front tire.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 PM
powerlab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sb

Ive got the drop ins in mine and the rear is lowered and never bottomed out or dragged.The front is lowered 2" and the rear is1".The ride is much better then stock and my wife rides all the time with me and never had a problem.Its a 09 SB.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
SigEpRider
Intermediate

thanks guys. I am going to just install the drop in kit so I can make it to a motorcycle rally this weekend. I will change out the fork oil to 15W later. I think this would be best so that I don't change the dynamics of the bike to radically as I am driving 100 miles to the rally. I will also post my impressions.

PowerLab, did you change the fork oil also or not?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powerlab
Ive got the drop ins in mine and the rear is lowered and never bottomed out or dragged.The front is lowered 2" and the rear is1".The ride is much better then stock and my wife rides all the time with me and never had a problem.Its a 09 SB.
does the bike sit level with a 2" drop in the front and only 1" in the back?......did you need a shorter jiffy stand?

Quick Reply: Progressive Drop In Lowering Kit and Fork Oil?