Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Squeaking noise coming from my engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM
toddman015
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Squeaking noise coming from my engine

We left for Street Vibes 09 last Thursday. Stopped about 15 miles into the trip for gas/food. When pulling into the gas station, I noticed this squeaking noise. I tried to pinpoint where it was coming from and thought it was from the front of the engine. The noise was consistent, bike moving or not. At this point I thought, well it seems to be running fine I'll just keep going and hope I make it to Reno. So we rode a while further and met up with some other friends, noise was still there. I asked my buddy and he thought it might be the front motor mount. We ended up making it all the way to Reno, but the noise seemed to be getting louder as I could actually hear it over my exhaust at freeway speeds. Let the bike sit that night and planned to take it to the stealer in the AM, but wouldn't you know it, the noise was gone the next morning. Rode all weekend all over Reno and Carson City, still no noise. THEN we rode home and the noise started about 3 miles after we got on the freeway. It is VERY loud now, and I am concerned that this may be something serious. Strange thing is, other than the noise, the bike is running fine. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your bike? First thing that comes to mind is the inner primary bearing. Its been causing alot of problems around here lately. Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 PM
toddman015
6th Gear

OOPS!!! I got so chatting explaining the story, I forgot the info on my bike!

It's an '02 Dyna Wide Glide with the Screamin' Eagle Stage 3 package. Mileage is 22K. It does it regardless if the clutch is engaged or not, whether in gear or not, and at all ranges of speed/RPM.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Is the squeak consistant regardless of rpm or speed? Doubt its the IPB, thats a 06 and up problem

Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM
toddman015
6th Gear

The frequency of the noise increases with RPM. The sound is almost like a bird chirping. I have read on another forum that it may be a rocker bushing or possibly a cam shoe that came loose. I'm gonna have to get a service manual so I can try to fix this myself. I don't have much faith in the stealer after they charged me 400 bucks to change my fork oil, replace the upper seal Had a front end clunk) and change the primary oil. Long story short, the front end clunk is still there, fork oil still leaks out of the top of the left fork leg, and I changed my primary oil myself about 300 miles later. Judging by the black goo that came out, there is no way they had changed it.

I'm new to the HD world, so my knowledge of how these things are put together is very limited. I will get there tho...

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine made a high pitch squeek at higher altitudes,but always goes back to normal after a couple runs after coming home. Bird chirping have you looked at your discs?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

After I did my engine build I now have a sound almost like a bird chirping. Almost sounds like a VW.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
toddman015
6th Gear

It's not the rotors, it makes the sound even when sitting at a stop light. I am going to get a service manual and try to tackle this. I will post what I find...

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar sound when I changed out my pipes. It turned out to be an exhaust leak caused by a loose flange nut at the head. Once I re-torqued the flange nuts the noise went away.

Good luck figuring it out. You can lose a lot of hair chasing down those intermittent little noises!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Ratbob may have a point, maybe a header pipe is moving just enough to be scraping causing a chirp.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Squeaking noise coming from my engine