Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gel in seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the stock wide glide seat on my bike been happy... but i plan on getting a mustang seat i have yet to find one i like more.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:32 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents ...

Jell sucks, Corbin is a risk. A few like them most don't.

Mustang seats have the best overall "happy customers".

Having said that; it's your butt and, excuse the expression, but all butt's are different.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:30 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
I purchased a corbin seat and tryed like hell to like it. Never did like it and finally sold it on ebay. I was glad to see it go. Everybody that I have ever talked to said corbin is the best seat and that it is the best purchase they made for their bike. I just couldn't get used to the contour. It felt like sitting in a bowl and forced me into an uncomfortable position.
The people at corbin said it forced me into the "correct position" and that my riding posture was incorrect if the seat bothered me so much. Here comes the controversial part. I would rather sit on a bath towel than a corbin seat.
LOL with factors such as your height, body shape, handlebar reach, leg length, how the fu@k would they know if the seat put you in the "correct position" or not. Narrow minded folks for sure. See you gotta wonder what kind of policy a company takes when they tell you it is you yourself that is wrong and their design is perfect for everyone....LOL.... I called corbin to talk about their seats, I asked them why would I choose their seat over a mustang or the others.... the only answer she had.... ours is leather....LOl... I was expecting some better reasoning behind their product than that.
I have heard world of praise about C&C seats here too... Personally I would rather sit on a towel than one of their seats as well.... Most uncomfortable seat I ever sat on(even liked a badlander better).

Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, so I went ahead and put the gel in the seat. I thought I would try this first basically because I didn't have to buy anything. I think it turned out well.

First I pulled all the staples off the back of the seat and pulled off cover.
Then I laid the gel seat on top of the foam, trimed the gel seat to the shape of the seat.
I then traced around the pad and cut and pulled the foam out.
The gel pad that I had is two parts. The bottom is gel and the top if memory foam.
I then just tried my best to remove the foam evenly and actually added some in the back to push me an inch or so closer to the tank.

This is the gel inset into the foam

Here is the memory foam inset on top of the gel.
I used some tyvek tape to hold it in place and smooth out the edges.
Next I coved the whole thing in some plastic and then streghed the cover back on it.
To staple it I used a regular swingline heavy duty stapler, stating at the front and working my way back.

The final step was to have it inspected by the quality control department.

He said it passed.
It should warm up later this afternoon and I will try it out.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:44 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cool ...hope you like it. Good job on the install.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:03 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never been completely comfortable on a Corbin. I bought a Danny Grey last year, but I was sent the wrong year of seat. So I can't comment on comfort for a DG. I have never tried a Saddlemen seat either. I have had three seats refoamed and covered by Tom Simmons in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He does good work.
Mustang gets my vote for comfort in a mass produce seat. I just don't really like their looks. AS in, they all look basically the same. I just got a used Mustang two up Wide Classic off eBay. I plan to take it to a guy to have it recovered in my choice of vinyl. No changes to the foam. Mustang comfort, but it won't look like every one elses.
Picture is the Mustng seat.

Attached Thumbnails gel in seat-100_0803.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Well I got to take the bike out for about 60-70 miles. It is no improvement over stock. Feels kind of the same.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 PM
oldguyalso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent my stock seat to Mean city. I asked for the gel,cause I wanted the most comfort. The guy at Mean city talked me into the memory foam,it was cheaper than the gel. What a difference!! No more buzz butt I can ride 8 to 10 hours at a time. The best money I spent. I heard all the stuff about new seats being a hit or miss and didn't want to deal with the cost. Now I'm going to send a Sundowner down to them to make it feel right

Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mean City did my Ultra with a double memory foam. AWESOME job!

However, if you have them use gel you won't have any issues with hot or cold with there products and install.