Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery and Bike Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Battery and Bike Wont Start?

Hey guys, I noticed that I my battery had been trashed after 3 years so I bought a new one last week. I installed the new battery and went for a 45 mile ride and then parked it in the garage. Today, I went home for lunch (in the car) and since it was so damn nice out, I thought that I would ride the bike back to work. I rolled the bike out of the garage, turned the ignition on (fuel injection system beeps as usual head light come on then I hit the run switch and nothing but a click. The bike wont turn over. My question is this; if the head light and fuel pump are coming up but the bike wont start, what should I check next? I did not have time to take the battery cover off and check the terminals, but if they were loose, would the lights and the fuel pump be working?

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
rokrawlr
Cruiser

They could be, sometimes it will have enough of a connection to provide power for minimal things but not enough for a large draw like trying to start the bike.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the charge on the battery when you get home. Then, hit the start button with the voltmeter still plugged up to the battery. If it drops below about 10.5V, you don't have enough juice to turn the bike over and maybe not enough to kick out the starter jackshaft.

If that's the case, look at your voltage regulator. Chances are it might be on the fritz, which can cause your charging system to fail to charge your battery while the bike is running.

The most expensive problem would likely be your stator/alternator. If you have broken windings on your stator, you aren't producing enough AC power to charge the battery.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluesrider
Hey guys, I noticed that I my battery had been trashed after 3 years so I bought a new one last week. I installed the new battery and went for a 45 mile ride and then parked it in the garage. Today, I went home for lunch (in the car) and since it was so damn nice out, I thought that I would ride the bike back to work. I rolled the bike out of the garage, turned the ignition on (fuel injection system beeps as usual head light come on then I hit the run switch and nothing but a click. The bike wont turn over. My question is this; if the head light and fuel pump are coming up but the bike wont start, what should I check next? I did not have time to take the battery cover off and check the terminals, but if they were loose, would the lights and the fuel pump be working?

Thanks for any help!
You could still have power but not enough to turn the starter , a car does the same thing , the battery cables loosen often on Harleys and you need to check them , so take the seat off and check it out give the the cables a little pull to make sure their tight and see what happens ... if the bike starts go back and retighten the screws to the battery with a tool , if your connections where loose for awhile and you did not know it then you were getting a lousy charge back to the battery and in a short time the battery would fail and yours finally did , a fuel pump has nothing to do with it since it's not even turning over .. by the way batteries last a lot longer than 3 years ... Good Luck

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 01-26-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes if they are loose that could cause it.When you have electrical problems always start at the source.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

Check the starter relay in the fuse block, inexpensive part, even NAPA carries them!

Last edited by ReeseSS; 01-26-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

thnk cheap man... most of the time this is jsut loose battery terminals, just tighten them up, in the summer i would say 1 out of every 5 bikes that is towed to my shop are just loose battery terminals

Old 01-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

I just got home and rechecked the install on the battery and the terminals are super tight on the new battery. When I hit the run switch to crank the engine up, there are a few clicks and then a high pitched noise that rises in pitch over a 5 second period of time and then stops. It sounds like it is recharging for another try at starter. Any advice on where to look now?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

No acid to pour; I just went up to the dealer and bought it new last week.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a meter? If so, check the voltage as suggested above. Keep in mind that wires all have two ends - just because the connections are tight (and presumably clean) at the battery doesn't mean they are at the other end.

Trace the battery cables. Pull the ground from wherever it mounts to your frame, sandpaper everything then put it back on. Positive should run to your solenoid so check that for tight. Just be methodical and check every connection you can find.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: New Battery and Bike Wont Start?